Logo

OMC Cobra Shift ProblemMechanicExpert Needed

water_music

"I recently purchased a 1989 B

"I recently purchased a 1989 Bayliner with a 5.8L Engine and OMC Cobra Drive. It had issues shifting in reverse, so I had the Shift Cable replaced by who I thought was a qualified Marine Mechanic. It still has issues, and I am looking for a someone can properly diagnose and repair the problem. Can someone recomend a Mechanic in Eastern/Central Massachusetts that truly knows Cobra Drives?"

"I've had repairs done at

"I've had repairs done at Nipmuc Marine in Mendon. "old timer" seems to know what he's doing.

Nipmuc Marine & Auto, Inc. P.O. Box 162 Route 16 Mendon, MA 01756 Ph: (508) 473-2523"

It sounds like the same proble

It sounds like the same problem i am having. it's the shift interrupter switch

"I just had the Outdrive remov

"I just had the Outdrive removed, the problem was with some corrossion on the Linkage at the bottom of the outdrive. It shifts like a dream now!"

"I am trying to get exploded v

"I am trying to get exploded view of shift hand control (helm end)
Mine is chris craft 218c 1990 with 5,8 omc.
It shed a plastic retainer from gear cable, presume it retains outer sleeve of bowden cable, would prefer to see exploded view prior removal which is a bit of a pain. I have OMC factory manual for cobra but no hand control view. Any help here??

Also for general interest, My trim/tilt relay failed, local guys wanted $500 for new one + 6-8 week delivery!!! Local off road shop had reversing solenoid for 4WD winch at 100 Amp rating cost $200 + a few terminals. Mounted high on transom under cover, sprayed with lanolin spray ("Lanotec" here in OZ) with a polypropylene splash cover (recycled take away food container) and presto! instant factory replacement at $300 discount, 100 amps is a bit of overkill but if the system stops I KNOW it is not the relay!!
Hope this helps."

"You didn't say if you hav

"You didn't say if you have the binnacle mount or concealed??
147849.gif
Binnacle Mount"">

147850.gif
Concealed Mount

"mounted right side inner gunn

"mounted right side inner gunnel. Has no back cover as illustrated, mechanicals exposed between inner and outer gunnel (5-6" space there) Part 1 is a press to release clutch to prime carb or fast idle out of gear. Part 18 & 19 are 1 piece red plastic (sprung loaded) lift to engage gears but located on the other side of 18. Part 18 is cast metal (chromed), 21 & 25 one piece plastic.18 is held on to splined shaft by a grub screw accessed by pulling 18 to fully aft (reverse) position & inserting allen key through slot in forward edge of 18. The whole unit is bolted through gunnel, access requires removal of 18, removal of decorative cover plate (inboard side) to access slotted CSK bolt heads. I have used drawing 2 as closest reference for ease of description. Trim/tilt is located facing inboard on 21/25.
Regards Rene"

"It sounds like you do have an

"It sounds like you do have an OMC version of the concealed side mount, this one is actually from 1991 but who knows which version they installed on your boat?
147889.gif
"

Back