Logo

Merc 470 wiring question

"hello,on my 470 (air cool

"hello,on my 470 (air cooled) regulator , theres a red wire going to the starter, but cabletied to this theres a green wire! this has an eye on the end and isnt connected to anything ! any suggestions please, ive got the clymber book but cant id it . cheers kev(in the uk)"

"Could that be a ground wire t

"Could that be a ground wire to connect to the body of the alt? Generally, green is ground. Using an ohmmeter, test to see if the wire is connected to the motor ground. JW in Dixie"

"thanks for the quick reply ,

"thanks for the quick reply , i'll try that tomorrow, i didnt think of ground with it being the rotor/stator type !"

"It;s hard to understand exact

"It;s hard to understand exactly what you are saying! Let's see , there is a red wire that goes from the regulator to the starter. And that has a green wire connected to it and the other end of that green wire goes no-where!!??? HUH??
Anyhow, It sounds like like a positive since it goes from the regulator to starter. I would not use an OHM meter on that! Use a MiltiMeter an put it on 12V DC scale first."Air cooled regulator???" Do you have an aftermarket charging system, original used water cooled regulator. I did not see a green wire here. Take a look, Chris
http://www.members.aol.com/cdrr61/470_wireing.jpg""

"[IMG][url=""]http://i112.phot

"
url]

is a picture of it, the clymer book mentions an air cooled reg , at the moment i have no charge ,so i'll try fix it first tho i fancy a mounted alternator belt driven as theres a pulley on the rotor , just in the uk i cant get the fixing kit !!"

"oh and another seperate quest

"oh and another seperate question ! at the moment ive got the leg in bits(sheared splines off the drive shaft) i want to test run the engine, ive got a length of flexi exhaust pipe and a hose into the inlet in the transom plate, should there be a water flow(like a tell tale) at the right hand side of the transom plate ? or have i a problem ?"

"ok i'll answer my own que

"ok i'll answer my own question
happy.gif
! the green wire was for the temp sender ! i didn't see it hidden behind the pipe , and the water i could see comes from a small hole in the transom plate ! so is this the tell tale ?"

"Kev
They dont run a tell tal

"Kev
They dont run a tell tale like an outboard, sounds like you have another problem to investigate.
You mentioned the Clymer manual, I think its time you had a good read.

Peter C"

"ouch ! looking into the trans

"ouch ! looking into the transom plate there appears to be a hole running to the right diagonally, near the end of the exhaust hole, and the hole runs to the outside and "appears" to have been cast there?, this is a pre alpha leg! i'll take a couple of pics tomorrow and post the links, it was nice tho hearing the motor ticking over, those american engines have a nice sound to them!"

Back