Logo

Merc Cruiser 30 Liter Engine

rkonowaluk

"Hi, I'm new here.
I have

"Hi, I'm new here.
I have been offered a 19'Bow Rider Funliner with the Alpha One outdrive. I'm told the engine is toast. He says the block is cracked below the head. I haven't seen the boat or engine yet, so I have to take his word for it at this point.
My question is:
What's the going rate for a long block, short block or used Merc-Cruiser 3.0 liter engine. I am Mechanically inclined so that I thought I would do it myself.
Are there engine alternatives that are possible?
Used engine links to look for?
I'm really new to the boating arena, so please excuse my ignorance here. I appreciate your responses.
"

"I have a newer style (one

"I have a newer style (one piece rear mail seal) 3.0 L bare block for sale. It is a standard bore, and has been cleaned. It is in like new condition, ready to use.

(315) 343-3666 leave message, I'll return your call if I'm not home."

"Roman:

Welcome to the pr

"Roman:

Welcome to the program. Everyone will be glad to help you with your boat. Ask any question you want to make decisions. Don't apologize for not knowing and no question is stupid. The one you don't ask can't be answered.

Before you buy the boat, pay a professional to inspect it and give you a written report on its current condition. Ask him to inspect the transom, floor and stringers for rot. Very expensive repairs! If he says there is rot in the boat--run away from it unless you are willing to WYAO rebuilding it.

It is still expensive if you DIY. Expect to pay up to $85-100 per gallon for epoxy--it will take about 5-10 gallons depending upon the extent of the repairs. Then there is the cost of the lumber and fiberglass work and new carpet, etc.

I have a 19' bowrider (1987) and it is powered by a 4.3L 2 BBL carb. V-6 rated at 175 HP. If the boat you are considering is in solid shape and only needs an engine, you might consider buying a complete new drop-in engine like the 4.3L with 205 HP carbed for $4,500. or the 220 HP EFI for about $5,900. Both will bolt right up to your Alpha outdrive. New and reman. longblocks are available for about 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost of a complete drop-in. It is your call."

"Skip, Thanks for you post. I&

"Skip, Thanks for you post. I'll consider it, but not knowing what else might be wrong with the engine, my decision will probably lean towards going with a long block if I move forward.

Guy, Thanks for the details. I believe this bowrider maybe an 87 or 88 as well. Sounds like an expensive proposition. The owner is asking next to nothing for the Boat and trailer, so I thought I would fix it up a little for a resonable cost. I'll see what else I can find out about it."

"How can you tell if its a 3.0

"How can you tell if its a 3.0 L or a 3.0 LX? Its a 93 bayliner bowrider.Alpha one 4 cylinder model
I checked oil yesterday its mocha brown, has not been in water since last year; I test started and ran fine about a month ago, little rough but was good at 900 rpm, did not see freeze plug damage? Will check cures on carb posts I've seen."

"I have the following availabl

"I have the following available for the newer style 3.0 L (one piece rear main seal)

long block: $1865.00
short block: $1295.00

bare block (fully machined - ready to assemble)
$ 695.00

If interested, please give me a call.

Skip Ohnmacht
(315) 343-6030 M-F 8am-5pm EDT"

"bowrider maybe an 87 or 8

"bowrider maybe an 87 or 88...Sounds like an expensive proposition...so I thought I would fix it up a little for a resonable cost"

Roman:

There is no "reasonable cost" to fix up an old boat that needs a new engine just to start. It is a money pit with an insatiable appetite that you will be feeding until you unload it. The money you put into it will be more than the net value of the boat and trailer. Old boats are why there is "Davey Jones' Locker". I would decline the "low price" offer from the owner and let him send it to its final resting place.

"Guy,

I came to the same c

"Guy,

I came to the same conclusion. He just wants to unload the thing at this point. My interest level for it is low to non-existent.
Thanks for your feedback."

"I have a 1988 SeaRay Seville

"I have a 1988 SeaRay Seville with merc 3.0l I/O. The lower v-belt broke and in preparing to replace it, I notice the pulleys aren't properly aligned. The bottom pulley looks like it is about 1/4" out or forward, or away from the engine. Any ideas?"

Back