Logo

How do you replace a lower unit on a 1994 75hp Merc

joe

Regular Contributor
The first time I put it back

The first time I put it back it would be in drive when I shifted in neutral.

Take it apart again. Turn the

Take it apart again. Turn the shift shaft to nuetral and have the control in nuetral and reassemble. If that gives you trouble than you can always put the unit in forward and the control in forward and try again. Common mistake so don't feel bad about it.

" I couldn't find neutral

" I couldn't find neutral on the lower unit so I left it in forward. With the control in forward also, I couldn't seem to get the upper and lower units back together. I was afraid to force it. Is there something else that needs to be done? Everything worked fine before it was taken apart. A "know it all" nieghbor had me remove the lower unit to check the impellar. He said it was easy. He removed the shift shaft thinking that was the impellar. Could this be the problem? The shaft has a 'C' clip on it. Does the clip sit at the top or bottom? "

" Joe...Tell your neighbour no

" Joe...Tell your neighbour not to touch your motor, he probably just cost you more money. There is a shift cam at the bottom of the shift shaft which is probably fallen off or not lined up correctly. You will have to remove the propshaft and bearing carrier to see. I highly recommend you let a dealer correct the problem so no other damage is done as this could ruin your lower unit internal components. PS... The c clip sits on the top...DJ "

Back