Logo

Plane Facts

farnsp

Regular Contributor
"I've been studying trim t

"I've been studying trim tabs, and I'm looking for a little.... experience. I have a '72 starcraft 14' aluminum boat, on which I have a '72 9.5 evinrude.

Long story short, I'm using this boat as a everyday fishing boat. Looking for some comfort as I run this 4-5 times a week.

I put some sand bags(in front) to offset weight in the back(me), where i operate the boat. Planes real nice.

I'm wondering if trim tabs can pin the front down without having to push all this weight? The down side is that the cost of such tabs look to be 300-400 smackers, way out of line for such a boat. Is there tabs out there for less money, and would they work? Maybe fixed position tabs? Home made tabs somebody has seen?

Any experience or insight into this issue would be welcome, and appreciated. Thanks."

"Paul, I am running a 2000 14&

"Paul, I am running a 2000 14' Princecraft, 15 horse. Installed a console, but until last year was running as a tiller.

Did a couple of things to help keep the nose down. First, just trimmed it right in to the transom, then installed a hydrofoil (doel-fin). That helped quite a bit but nose still got "up there" when I was by myself sitting in the back.

I did consider going with "smart tabs" (brand name) - for our size boat they can be picked up as a whole assembly for under 200 bucks new and can be converted to a power unit if you ever wanted.

I have read an article or two on homemade fixed tabs. They were made out of a plate of steel or aluminum, a piece of stainless "piano hinge" (to attach to the transom and a couple of different options on the top end.

Anything from a fixed strut, to a hydralic cylinder similar to those things that hold up the hatch back on a car.

The one note of caution on the fixed tabs is, if you experience following waves moving quicker than you, or you are in reverse, there is a chance of having waves come over your transom. So there should be a way to "disengage" them easily when necessary if they are fixed/semi-fixed..."

"Ah, never occured to me that

"Ah, never occured to me that following seas, which happens all the time, would be a problem. Good point. Reverse would'nt be a problem, I dont think, only use it get away from the from the dock, or to get the weeds off the prop. I saw the smart tabs too.

I know that I'm pushing extra weight(100lbs of sand), and if i could use tabs and get rid of the weight, just think of the fuel savings, and not to mention the strain on the motor.

I have some things to think about and figure this out, because I see that sand sitting there, and I wonder what it's costing me. If I was running a small distance, but sometimes I run 40- 60 minutes just to get to the the fish.

Thanks Graham, very interesting."

"Have you tried relocating you

"Have you tried relocating your fuel tank/s and/or battery to the front. This may mean extending the fuel line, but if you are carrying sandbags, why not carry something you can use.

Also, Starcraft used to offer small fixed plates which get rivited to transom. They are permanent, easy to install and don't effect backing. I was a Starcraft dealer in a previous life but have been out of retail for 10 years. Your local dealer may be able to help.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Thanks Rick,
I have a Starcr

"Thanks Rick,
I have a Starcraft dealer nearly next door to me, I'll check into the small tabs.

I've been thinking about this, and thought before i get carried away with the tabs, maybe I need to test this out first.

I can make something out of wood for nothing(being a carpenter), and untill I see the effects on my boat I'm not sure I want to spend the money.

I'm thinking of starting with 15 degees of angle. The plate I think maybe 10"x5". Is this enough to make an effect on such a boat? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

By-the-way, fuel tank in front, battery in back."

"Paul,

15 degrees will bury

"Paul,

15 degrees will bury your bow. I wouldn't do anything more than extend them straight back. I would start with maybe 6"x2", up 1/8" from the hull. The fixed plates Starcraft used were only about 8"x2"' but they were for larger boats That should be enough to keep the bow steady.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Made a set of trim tabs. I de

"Made a set of trim tabs. I decided to go with 3"x8" spring loaded set-up. I seen a set on a friend's boat that had a spring in it to allow for movement. I may have been too aggresive with the angle to begin with, but i built in some adjustment. The theory was to have angle to start, and when you have forward motion the force of the water will push the tabs up even with the bottom of the boat. It seemed that the angle caused drag, and reduced speed. Good part is that they got it to plane without the weight. Going readjust and give it another try in the morning. Thanks for the help, and any thoughts are welcome."

"Consider getting a fishing ma

"Consider getting a fishing mate to join you? He'll never know the real reason why he's there and you can split the fuel bill? He can pass the frosties along too, thirsty work piloting a floater
biggrin.gif

If the "Complaints Dept"{ read: wife } rejects my theory, take her along then. But only in severe cases. Personally, I'd go for the tabs if this was your only option!

Sorry, could not resist the temptation... Bit bored today in the office..."

Back