Logo

Question about Alpha One prop

E

Elvin

Why won't my Alpha One pro

Why won't my Alpha One propeller free spin in neutral?

"It should be able to unless i

"It should be able to unless it`s the wrong prop, wrong thrust washer behind the prop,siezed lower unit"

"Let me give a little more inf

"Let me give a little more info. I changed the impeller in my foot and then put the lower half back on. It all went on pretty smooth until it was about 1/2" from being flush up on there and then I got the bolts started. It seemed to pull up fine and it is flush, but when I try to turn the prop with my hand it will not turn in forward neutral or reverse. Everything seems to be in place. I checked the linkage on the front part of the lower housing to make sure it is in, and it is so I am pretty confused now."

"Can you shift gears at all?

"Can you shift gears at all?
The prop should freewheel in neutral. If it won't turn at least in one direction with a ratcheting sound, something is seriously wrong.
You need to take the lower housing off again and start from there. Don't event think about starting it up.
Rod"

Was the drive in the full up &

Was the drive in the full up (out) position?
Was the shifter in 'forward'?
Are you sure the shift shaft segments lined up when you put the lower unit back on?

"I took the lower unit back of

"I took the lower unit back off and the prop will spin, but it is alot harder to spin than it should be. I talked to a local boat mechanic and he told me how to get the lower unit back into forward but when I try to turn the small spline shaft in the front it does not turn easy and no matter which way I do turn it, it doesn't do anything for the prop. Any suggestions?"

Did you take the prop off and

Did you take the prop off and mabey didn't put it back on properly. I would take the prop back off.Sounds like problems somewhere in the lower drive. Don't see how you could have messed things up just changing the waterpump. The shift shaft should only have to move about an 1/8 of a turn either way to shift the unit.
Chris

OK I FINALLY GOT THE SHAFTS TO

OK I FINALLY GOT THE SHAFTS TO WHERE THEY WOULD MOVE. SHOULD THE SHIFT SHAFT MOVE UP AND DOWN AND WHEN I PULL IT UP SHOULD I BE ABLE TO SPIN IT WITH MY FINGERS?

"If you can spin the shift sha

"If you can spin the shift shaft, something is way wrong. It should only turn from straight ahead (forward gear) to about 10:00 o'clock looking from the top (reverse gear).
It sounds like something is fritzed in the lower unit, and I think you are gonna have to have it taken apart and repaired. You either have a broken shift shaft or shift crank.
This is not a job for the inexperienced, though you could do it. You would need to get a manual excerpt that covers repairs to the lower gear housing, and there are a couple of special tools needed. Bummer.
Rod"

Back