Logo

470 mercruiser overheating circulate pump

cynandcap

When the engine running when i

When the engine running when i take the hose off of circulateing pump should it be pushing water out of the pump?????

"You have to be a little more

"You have to be a little more clear on which pump, and which hose.

If you're talking about the discharge side of the pump, the answer is yes, as long as there is a supply of water on the inlet side."

This is inline 4 cyl with a ci

This is inline 4 cyl with a circulate pump not a water pump.
when i take the hose off the intake manifold their is no water coming out of the circulateing pump

The answer is NO. The circula

The answer is NO. The circulating pump draws coolant into it and pumps it through the block.

"it's cuz you disconnected

"it's cuz you disconnected the hose, silly!
biggrin.gif

Didja check the thermostat?"

how fast will it overheat? di

how fast will it overheat? did you check your impeller? when running the engine feel the intake line...is it cold?

im not possitive but i dont th

im not possitive but i dont think the water will run through the circulater pump until the motor heats up and the thermostat opens....remove the thermostat entirely and then see if it overheats...

"Water always circulates throu

"Water always circulates through the engine block, When the thermostat opens, it allows water to flow to the heat exchanger. In the case of raw water cooling, it allows some of the hot circulating water to exit through the exhaust, and the cooler raw water to enter and mix with the hot water circulating through the engine.

Is the boat in the water when you're running this little experiment?
If not are you sure you're getting a decent supply of water to the impeller on the outdrive, via your garden hose?"

496 Mag mercrusier
When start

496 Mag mercrusier
When starting after the RPM's drop it stalls. Also when shifting (again low RPM's) it stalls. What could cause this? It has been suggested that I have a faulty EAC valve. Any other ideas?

Back