Logo

Speedometer pickup on alpaha one

stokes89

"99 3.0 mercruiser speedometer

"99 3.0 mercruiser speedometer not working, replaced,blow air from hose at outdrive and gauge reads, where is water pickup? is it safe to blow low pressure air into lower unit where hose attaches?"

little hole at front of lower.

little hole at front of lower. can clear with small drill bit. pressure won't hurt.

"Would this also apply on a 19

"Would this also apply on a 1988 Alpha 1 with a 5.0L?
Don't think I have that problem yet, but it would be nice to know how to remedy it ASAP if it does.
Thanks,
James"

"Now if only we had a Dolly Pa

"Now if only we had a Dolly Parton, up close and personal!!
James; your '88 Alpha 1 likely won't have the pickup port in the leg. It should have a separate pickup on the transom instead.
Rod"

"Man this place is the place t

"Man this place is the place to be.
I'll see you your Dolly and raise you a Faith Hill.
Ah.... that is what that is. It is folded up against the transom. Any trick to get it laying flat or in a position to read speed? I tried briefly to get it to go into position before I knew what it was and it only wanted to come down part way.
Sweet Baby James out,"

"I'll take Teri Hatcher &#

"I'll take Teri Hatcher (Desperate Housewives) any day. The tip of the pitot tube just hangs in the water a small amount to create a little pressure. Looking at it from the starboard view, the tube would point at the 7 O'clock position. Replace it--$3 part. If the hose is kinked, cut the tip off and reinstall the hose."

"Good choice. You watch the sh

"Good choice. You watch the show Guy? Come on...be honest!!!!
I will see what I can do to set it at 7 bells.
Thanks all,
Wishing I could sing....
James Taylor out"

"The pitot tube speedometer us

"The pitot tube speedometer usually won't even move on my boat until I'm doing about 15 mph.. The best cure, is to buy a gps. even a handheld, in a bracket on the console is better than the speedo tube rig..

On the same note, if you have a lowrance handheld (ifinder..h2o etc..) there is a undocumented feature that really comes in handy as a speedometer.. With the second map up, the one that has all the optional choices below, hit the exit button three times in under two seconds, and up pops a full size speedometer.. You can vary the range with the zin zout buttons.. If you have the gps set for mph and in utilities, you set the speed threshold to 1 or 2 the speedometer can be ranged for what ever range your boat is comfortable with.. I have not seen any documentation on this feature in anything published by lowrance, but it works great, and very easy to see..Have fun!!"

Back