Logo

Alpha I Gen II lower unit stuck

navy_doc

"I recently tried to replace m

"I recently tried to replace my impeller but cannot get the lower unit to separate from the upper unit of the stern drive. I have removed all nuts and bolts including the bolt under the trim tab. The back part separates about 1/2" but the front is not budging. I have tried a rubber mallet, screwdrivers and even a pry bar at this point. Any tips would be greatly appreciated."

"I beleive you will find a nut

"I beleive you will find a nut on top of a stud that is about 3/4" from the front of the drive leg, that is only accessible from above the ventilation plate, just behind the anode plate. To get at it the drive must be all the way up and turned fully to one side. It is just in front of the vertical stainless shift shaft that you will see clearly thru this opening. I think it is 9/16" but not dead sure.
Rod"

"That was it! Thanks for savin

"That was it! Thanks for saving me a ton of frustration. It concerns me that my manual did not mention this bolt but it concerns me more that I didn't see it myself. Anyway, the impeller has been replaced so wish me luck, thanks again."

Good news!!
Don't feel ba

Good news!!
Don't feel bad; it's a tough nut to see unless you pull the entire drive.
Happy boating; keep the wet side down.
Rod

Back