Logo

2002 3 hp Yamaha Cooling System Check

"I am a decent mechanic by hob

"I am a decent mechanic by hobby but I have no direct experience with outboards.

I have recently inherited from my Dad 2002(?) 3hp Yamaha. It has been used maybe once or twice. It runs great and starts easily and idles like a dream.

However: I see no "pee stream" anywhere. How do I know that the cooling system is working properly?

Thanks in advance for your help. I really want to use the motor this weekend but not until I know the cooling system is working.

Regards,

Bill"

"Oh yeah, that's gotta be

"Oh yeah, that's gotta be right. I'll run right out and buy one.

My question is: how do I tell if the cooling system is working properly on a 3 hp Yamaha.

The motor has been used once or twice, I doubt the water pump has failed.

I seriously doubt you (or I) have enough information to come up with such a diagnoses.

Can anybody out there tell me what to check for?"

great little motor.....only th

great little motor.....only thing i dont like....to get reverse you have to spin the motor around which lets the "pee" hole pee inside the boat. It is directly above the pivot mount in the bottom of the case and pees directly down. right near the 2 screws that mount the handle( i just looked at mine)

"AHA, that's great. Thank

"AHA, that's great. Thanks for taking the time to check your motor. Given my lack of experience (with outboards) its good to know exactly where the "pee" should come from. I've heard various things (such as "it comes out the exaust"). Now I know for sure.

I'm going to start taking it apart and look for worn/broken/clogged stuff (impeller, water pump, passageways).

Thanks again"

as i have ran mine today i see

as i have ran mine today i see it does come out the exhaust too. I'm not a mechanic so be sure to read up and check everything necessary.
and good luck

"I ran a wire up through the p

"I ran a wire up through the pee hole: the wire goes right through and I can see it coming out into the engine compartment. The pee hole doesn't seem to be connected to anything. I don't get it.

I did remove the lower end and I can see a cooling line (metal, ~ 3/16 inch diameter) going up the housing and dissapearing somewhere into the motor. I tried to blow air through it but it is blocked solid. This I assume is my problem, Where this tube comes out I don't know. My motor must be different from yours."

"Nope. I left it as described

"Nope. I left it as described in my last post.
I can't see an easy way to dismantle the tube that the water goes through so I can figure out where it goes and what is blocking it.
I plan on figuring it out and also replace the empeller while I'm at it. However, I'm broke and I can't get the manual I need or any parts right now. So it sits in my garage, patiently awaiting repair. Hopefully I can get it together by springtime."

"I have the same motor and the

"I have the same motor and the same problem.. no pee stream.. Any help would be appreciated. could it be air cooled ?
Thanks,
Jim"

"Bill,
I took the motor to a

"Bill,
I took the motor to a well know mechanic who works on yamaha's. This year motor does not have a pee stream hole. We ran the motor with a laser ligh beam that measures temp. It ran at a normal cooling temp. Just make sure when it runs that you have a trickle of water coming out of the exhaust about a foot above the prop."

"James,

Well, you solved th

"James,

Well, you solved the mystery, that's for sure. Thanks for posting the answer. I'll still do my impeller as I understand these are a "wear item" and should be replaced regularly.

I'll look for a trickle of water out of the exhaust as you recommend."

Back