Logo

My turn to ask a question

ratmower

Advanced Contributor
"Hello People of Wisdom

I p

"Hello People of Wisdom

I pulled my little hole in the water that I throw money at out of the water on the weekend for its winter service time and seem to have a little problem brewing.
Started my port engine no problem, ran like a clock, started my starboard engine and it ran like a dog and took a long time to clear itself.
Pulled the plugs today before starting it again and 5 & 6 showed signs of moisture (water vapour) on them.
When I started it I am getting steam out the exaust. I believe the Block and head are quite good (head was off last season, less than 50hrs ago ) I suspect the riser may have seen its day but also the manifold could be getting towards the end of its life as well.
What do you guys think before I break out the scalple and cut her open.
They are 292 straight 6 Chevs in the old girl with lots of hours on them.

Cheers
Peter C"

"I'd suspect the head gask

"I'd suspect the head gasket. It doesn't sound like a gusher. A little steam in the exhaust is normal for a sterndrive engine that discharges the cooling water overboard through the exhaust, isn't it?
You could (and probably should, based on their age) go after the exhasut manifold and riser. By the time you get those off, you'll have done a good bit of the work to get to the head gasket... I'd replace that too."

"Troy
Its a fair bit of steam

"Troy
Its a fair bit of steam not just a little, running on the hose it is blowing a big steam cloud out the prop and the two exaust holes on the transom plate, not what I would expect from a gasket, plus the engine hasn't been over heated and the gasket was replaced when I gave it a valve grind in August last year, I used sealer on the gasket and the engine would not have done more than 50hrs since the head was off.
I am pretty confident the head gasket is fine so I might replace the riser and pressure test the manifold and take it from there.

Thanks for the Help
Peter C"

Peter:

I agree with your ap

Peter:

I agree with your approach. Perhaps you should retorque the head bolts first. Your experience will tell you what is wrong as you start with the riser. If you remove the manifold check the manifold and the exhaust side of the head for warpage with a straight edge. If I remember back to the 60s those auto exhaust manifolds had a habit of cracking in the middle.

"Troy
Seen its a steamy one I

"Troy
Seen its a steamy one I would have to say its a geyser, certainly looked impressive running on the muffs yesterday throwing a cloud of steam about 6-8 feet out the back of the boat.
I was a little suspicious of the riser last year but failed to replace it, (I bet I would of if it was a customers job )a friend of mine has a hydraulic test unit so I can cap the manifold and pressurise it to check whats going on.
Guy I actually retorqued the head after its first run and gave it an additional 5lb (as is a habbit of mine ) but I will check it again.
Anyway I have a few months now to sort it out.

Thanks for the input Guys

Cheers
Peter C"

Back