Logo

Engine stalling

T

todd johnson

"I recently bought a 2002 21ft

"I recently bought a 2002 21ft bayliner with a 5.0 merc cruiser, it was in storage for about a year, i took it out the first time it ran fine, the 2nd time it ran fine, the 3rd time i pulled a tuber a couple of times and when i took it out of gear to idle it would idle down until the motor would die, i would turn it back over and it would fire right back up until it would idle down till it eventually would stop. i had a buddy on the boat and he said i need to turn the idle up a couple of hundred rpms, is this true? or is there something else wrong, the boat was running great until this weekend."

"It should idle at about 650 R

"It should idle at about 650 RPMs in forward gear at operating temperature. Your fuel was probably near its shelf life and may have deposited some gum and varnish in the idle circuits. Pour two cans of SEA FOAM in the fuel tank and fill the tank to 90% capacity. Take it to the lake and cruise about 30-60 minutes at 3000 RPM and see if that helps the stalling. Then securely tie the boat to the dock, put it in forward and adjust the idle speed to 650 RPMs."

Back