Logo

Engine stalling

sammy_s

"I recently bought a 1996 24&#

"I recently bought a 1996 24' Bayliner with a mercruisr 5.7L thunderbolt ignition engine and alpha 1 outdrive. The boat is my first real one, and has been running great for the last month. The last time I was out....not so great. Early in the day it was great as usual and we beached it for the day. When it came time to come home it was easy to start but would die right away in the idle /neutral position. It would run fine if we would give it a little gas. The temp never went above 160 (normal running temp) but every time we would drop it back to low idle it would die. We finally had to rev up the rpms and drop it back very fast put it into gear and then give it lots of throttle very quickly. The boat then ran fine for about 30 minutes at full throttle. I then dropped it back to bout 3500 prm and cruised for about 30 min with no problems. I then decided to float and take a swim and turned the boat off. It did the same thing on the restart and continues today. It will run great above 2000 rpm but will die when brought back to idle. It has a tank full of new gas (second full tank since I have owned it)and I just replaced the water seperator. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?"

anything in the fuel filter if

anything in the fuel filter if you carfully empty it into a jar? I would look in the carb float bowl as well. Sounds like you've got rust/debris in the carb cloging the idle jet(s).

Back