Logo

PCM Transmission

sneb

"Have 1996 PCM 5.8L with PCM M

"Have 1996 PCM 5.8L with PCM Model 40 1:1 transmission. Last weekend, went for about a mile or 2 then tried pulling a skier. Engine sounded like it was running fine but no power to prop. Put it in neutral, then tried to get on throttle again and engine rev'd but nothing happens. Same result in forward and reverse. Shut off engine for a few seconds, tried it again and it works. But I didn't try to get on it again, just went back to ramp and loaded up (didnt want to get stuck out on lake with family). There is transmission fluid in hull. A couple people I spoke with suggested overheating transmission and fluid gettin blown out. Engine runs at right temp according to temp gauge. Oil cooler appears to not be plugged and water is in hoses. So, I am guessing an oil pump in transmission is bad? Any ideas? Thanks."

"Sounds almost like you spun t

"Sounds almost like you spun the Hub on your Prop. Did you idle back to the ramp? I have had this happen and was able to run at low speed, if I tried to get on it all I got was RPM's and no go."

"Nope, not the prop. I have b

"Nope, not the prop. I have been out 2 times and had the same thing happen after running fine for a mile or two. Also, the red tranny fluid showing up in the hull makes me think its a (unfortunately) larger problem."

"So, I guess my next step is t

"So, I guess my next step is to take tranny out and get it fixed. What's the best way to get the exhaust system off? Start at the manifold and work my way down? Which is a good repair manual that I should pick up? It appears that I wont need to take the engine completely out too, I hope. All ideas/helps are appreciated."

"I'll bet there wasn't

"I'll bet there wasn't enough fluid in the tranny. You'd be surprised how little fluid they take--only about 2 quarts, total! (Most cars use 8 or more quarts.) Get a cup low and they can slip. I'm afraid that's what happened to yours, and now it needs a rebuild.

Jeff"

Thanks for the help. I just bo

Thanks for the help. I just bought the boat so I guess I am getting a full lesson in how it all works (or doesn't as the case may be).

I have a 89 master craft 351/P

I have a 89 master craft 351/PCM 40 1:1 The water impeller failed and engine over heated to about 205 degrees I repaired impeller but now transmission is stuck in forward when I try to shift into reverse the engine stalls also no resistance on detent .

Back