Logo

Possible Vapor Lock

johnf963

"I have a 2001 Chapparal 216.

"I have a 2001 Chapparal 216. It has a 350 w/ Bravo III. Last week, took it to Table Rock and had trouble with what appearred to be a vapor lock issue. After running at temp, motor would momentarily start, then flutter and stall.

The motor never ran hot. Shortly after several lock-up's the impeller did frag and was replaced. It did it once more after that.

I've been told to run blower all the time, run premium all the time, etc.

I can usuually get it started by loosening the fuel filter, topping it off with fuel and dumping a little fuel in the throttle body. It runs great the rest of the day, ussually.

The last time, I lossened the fuel filter and heard a surge of air. Could the fuel system, gas cap or failure to vent be an issue. What do I do?"

"Failure to vent certainly can

"Failure to vent certainly can be an issue.
Does it tend to do it more when the tank is more full?

Depending on what type of filler cap you have...
The flip open style has a little screen inside the cap that can be removed and cleaned.
The screw in type have another vent line going somewhere else, you'll have to trace it out."

"It has never happened while a

"It has never happened while at home (Omaha). It has only happen while at Table Rock, Mo. It has happened when close to full as well as below half tank.

I used the boat all last Friday with no problems, filled it with 91 Oct. in the a.m. and ran great all day."

"You should remove your vent l

"You should remove your vent line at the tank and blow it out to the hull vent. It may be obstructed, which could sure explain the problems you are describing.
Rod"

Back