Logo

30L trouble starting

bob_finch

"You experienced folks probabl

"You experienced folks probably love watching the progression of problems and questions as we try to work through getting old boat running
happy.gif

Solved the power to the trim/tilt and start. Then there was no spark. Replaced the distributor/rotor/condenser/plugs and wires and then there was spark!

Now trying to start, it will sometimes start if I have the throttle full open. When it does it runs along at a jerky 100 or so RPM and won't ever recover to an idle. If I move the throttle position it dies.

Conventional wisdom would say to check the fuel subsystem. I've checked both fuel filters, and they look good. There appears to be a good flow of fuel to the carb. It's been sitting for 10 years. Should I take the carb apart and dip it in carb cleaner?

Any suggestions on where to start on this latest issue?

Many Thanks,
Bob"

"I don't think it would ev

"I don't think it would even start on 10 year old gas. Did you reset the timing? Timing could be off. Check your plug wires too, make sure you didn't cross them by accident. Sounds too simple but it happens. I did it once, idled like crap and then I figured it out. I agree with the carb rebuild, the idle passages and jets could be all gummed up. If you have real old gas in there, you could disconnect the hose to the fuel pump, put some gas in a small can and start the engine and see if it will run off the fresh gas, see if that changes anything. Be careful though. Another thing I have heard is the anti-siphon valve sticking or not working right could cause similar problems. Running off a can of gas would probably rule that out."

"The gas was drained from the

"The gas was drained from the tank 10 years ago. There was still some gas in the fuel pump/filter and the metal line leading to the carb. Suprisingly, the gas in the filter and line still smelled normal (no varnish smell).

Haven't had it running to mess with the timing yet.

Question about the plug wires - Does the position of the wires in the distributor holes matter, or just the relationship of the wires in a clockwise direction? My firing order is 1-3-4-2. My manual shows the 4 inline cylinders running 4,3,2,1 (back of the boat toward the front). The manual shows the distributor 45 degrees off of what it really is, so I can't tell if the cylinder 1 cable goes on the left or right of where it shows up in the drawing. Is this making sense? The 4 cylinder positions on the cap are front on the engine side (I've got cylinder 1), front away from the engine (I've got cylinder 3), rear on the engine side (I've got cylinder 2), and rear away from the engine (I've got cylinder 4). Sound right?

Also, any suggestions on where to find a rebuild kit for a 2bb Rochester carb? Any quick internet sites?

Thanks tons."

"Sounds like you've got a

"Sounds like you've got a good project! Easy part first; nearly any auto parts store (NAPA, Advance, etc.) or automotive supply web site should be able to get the carb kit. There should be a metal tag on your carb with the model number, usually attached to one of the float bowl cover screws. The number may also be stamped on the base of the carb, along the edge where it mounts to the intake. You can also get one from a BRP dealer based on the Cobra model number. I'd definitely do this; unless the carb was drained, you almost guaranteed to have some varnish in some of the passages in the low speed circuit. On to the distributor: the specific position of the wires doesn't matter (from a purely technical perspective)as long as the relationship between the distributor and engine stroke is correct, and the wires are in the correct order. I believe that the distributor on the GM 4 cylinder rotates clockwise as viewed from the top, but you can easily verify that. If so, your wires are in the correct order to fire 1-3-4-2. Next, make sure that the rotor is pointing to the #1 position on the cap when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center of the compression stroke. You can pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the valve cover off to verify this, if you have any doubt. Just keep in mind that it's possible to have this 360 degrees off, so look at your timing marks also. If you're not the original owner, and assuming that your manual is correct and your distributor doesn't agree with the picture, it's possible that someone's shifted the distributor and has the timing off. Depending on how far off, they'll sometimes run, but not well! Good luck!"

Back