Logo

Need help with 50hp 2 stroke

hefe

"Hi, I purchased a used 2006 Y

"Hi, I purchased a used 2006 Yamaha 50 2 stroke, got it home started right up, I disconnected the battery and cleaned the boat up. When I hooked everything back up the engine wont crank or respond at all? All of the other electronics work but no response from the motor. I did not get a manual with the boat.

Can anyone suggest anything for me to check?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff"

"Jeff, recheck all your connec

"Jeff, recheck all your connections to make sure they are clean/tight. Also have a look for an inline fuse (maybe) - could have blown on you when you reconnected the cables.

Is the battery well charged? any chance you reversed the cables??"

"Jeff, after I responded I was

"Jeff, after I responded I was thinking about your post and a couple of other things came to mind. I don't know if this is your first boat, and if not, don't intend to offend you.

I don't generally work on Yami's and never anything this new, so have a couple of suggestions that apply to outboards in general.

Some have built in safety features to prevent starting "dangerously" or which could hurt the motor.

Is the motor in it's normal running position (not tilted) - some motors have a mercury switch that will prevent it from turning over when tilted.

Is the motor in "neutral" - almost all have neutral safety switch which prevents it from staring in gear - bad for the motor and could pitch someone overboard.

Just a couple other things to check..."

I checked and all looks normal

I checked and all looks normal. If there is an inline fuse do you know where it might be?

"You will usually find an inli

"You will usually find an inline fuse on the red wire feeding the starter solenoid (between the charging stator and solenoid), a second red wire usually goes from this terminal down to the battery..."

"Most of my safety features on

"Most of my safety features on my 07 will allow the motor to start but only run at a low idle and then it has warning lights on the front that would come on. To get no response at all sounds more electrical,like a fuse or a break in the wire."

I found the fuse and it sure w

I found the fuse and it sure was blown. Replaced and runnin like a champ. Thanks for the advice!!

"Jeff, glad it was a cheap/eas

"Jeff, glad it was a cheap/easy fix - enjoy your boat
"

Back