Logo

1973 Evinrude 95 sportwin acceleration problem

K

Kirk Thiel

Sparky
Last week I posted a

Sparky
Last week I posted a thread about my 9.5 sportwin needing to be set at full lean to run at fast speed. You suggested that the front mount may be broke causing the engine to pull on the choke under hard acceleration.
I checked and BINGO I found a crack in the housing right behind the friction screw but I can't see what it is connected to. I took hold of the flywheel and pull from right to left and the engine rocked from side to side. I'm assuming this would also be the cause of a vibration I have been feeling.Is this what your talking about and if so what can I or what should I do about it.

There are two screws from the

There are two screws from the cowling to the mount. The mount attaches to the crankcase cover and the cowling halves. If you run the motor without the cover you will likely see what is going on. Changing a broken mount on the 9.5 could be a challenge if you are doing it for the first time.

Sparky is it worth getting fi

Sparky is it worth getting fixed by a proffesional (remember the cowling is cracked also)Or would I be better off looking for something else.
Thanks
Kirk

"worth" is a judgemen

"worth" is a judgement call.At $60 an hour you would soon be into money that you could spend to get a good running motor with warranty.You would have to get the cowling welded or find a replacement.The thing to do is determine the condition of the lower unit (tear down required) before spending any money. If you are in southern ONTARIO I might be able to help as I have numerous parts motors.

" Sparky
I bought that motor

" Sparky
I bought that motor used a few years back. The lower unit had been craked and welded above the cavitation plate just under the cowling. (I didnt see it or know that at the time when I bought it). There was a small spot of JBweld around the bolt in the cowling about half way up. The guy told me it was a repair of damage that happened in storage. in a barel The motor started ,idledand ran on slow speed fine so I didnt give it a thought. Once I found the weld I relized the motor must have hit somthing at some point in time. (might explain the broken mount) I still didnt know that might be a source of my exceleration problem. I think this rebuild might be more than I am prepaired to handle. I think I will use it as is until I can't. (while makeing plans to get something else). It's a shame because this motor runs great.

Thanks for the help. "

Back