Logo

150 johnson sunk

R

rblacktips

i have a 86 150 johnson vro c

i have a 86 150 johnson vro complete rebuild only about 90hrs but the vro was removed. it recently went down at the dock in"salt water". i got it flushed out and started. i pulled the carbs off and apart cleaned them thouraly with carb cleaner and sprayed the jets with air pres.flushed the fuel pumps and lines with fresh gas runs good on a hose at an idle and in gear then i put it in the water.it starts up fine runs great at an idle but when i put it in gear it stalls right out .any suggestions

" I assume that you have insta

" I assume that you have installed new Champion QL77JC4 spark plugs, gapped at .040. If not, do so.

Check the compression, should be 100+ (roughly) and even on all cyls, then (with the plugs still removed), check the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame (a very strong snap).

If the above checks out okay, I'd suspect that something in at least one of the carburetors has been overlooked ie debris/salt in a jet, a faulty gasket, something of that nature.

It's usually a case that either the engine is not running on all six (6) cylinders or the idle is set too low.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

found problem ? right power p

found problem ? right power pack was out. hay joe does it really matter on the plugs .i changed them i installed ngk .that was before i had a chance to read your respones now motor seems to use a lot more fuel.and i mean a lot

" I have just bought a boat wi

" I have just bought a boat with an 80 HP Merc blue band. Has been sitting for an unknown number of years. Any tips before turning over, ie trying to start? "

" Nev...First thing you should

" Nev...First thing you should do is see if the pistons will rotate just by removing the spark plugs and spinning the flywheel by hand, if ok it probably wouldn't hurt to add some 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and rotate again. Turn over the motor(make sure of fully charged battery and good wire connections) and check your compression which should be 100lbs or better and within 15lbs of each other. If still ok check your spark. If the motor has been sitting for a long time you will most likely have to clean the carbs to remove any old gas that has gummed them up. After all these checks are done you try to start the motor with fresh gas(50 to 1 is ok for regular running but you may want to add a little more oil for the first tank) Keep in mind that the motor is approx. 20 plus years old and parts don't come cheap so if you find any major problems you may want to consider another motor instead of spending a fortune on this one...GOOD LUCK...DJ "

" Nev...First thing you should

" Nev...First thing you should do is see if the pistons will rotate just by removing the spark plugs and spinning the flywheel by hand, if ok it probably wouldn't hurt to add some 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and rotate again. Turn over the motor(make sure of fully charged battery and good wire connections) and check your compression which should be 100lbs or better and within 15lbs of each other. If still ok check your spark. If the motor has been sitting for a long time you will most likely have to clean the carbs to remove any old gas that has gummed them up. After all these checks are done you try to start the motor with fresh gas(50 to 1 is ok for regular running but you may want to add a little more oil for the first tank) Keep in mind that the motor is approx. 20 plus years old and parts don't come cheap so if you find any major problems you may want to consider another motor instead of spending a fortune on this one...GOOD LUCK...DJ "

Back