Logo

Power asist steering issues

F

Fixer.5

"My 1988 Four Winns-OMC 4.3L G

"My 1988 Four Winns-OMC 4.3L GM engine Horizon 200 with Cobra sterndrive. My problem is at slower speeds I cannot keep a straight course, I'm constanly oversteering. The cables and all hydraulic systems seem okay. There is about 1 1/2 in play at the steering helm.However when I turn the wheel the outdrive turns as well. Could this be a cable problem?? Any help appreciated. Fixer.5"

Most boat owners I talk to com

Most boat owners I talk to complain of "boat wander" at slow speeds. My 86 Four Winns 170 4.3 does the same thing and everything seems tight in power assist linkage. There are some plastic bushings in the assist ram that can be replaced. That procedure is explained well in original omc manual and to a lesser degree in the Seloc manual.

"I agree with Chris - mine doe

"I agree with Chris - mine does the same thing too ('91 FW 170). And yes, the manual points this out. I'm not an engineer, but I suspect that there is not enough flow of water across the hull and the outdrive to apply enough pressure to keep everything pointed in one direction (or something like that). Without that pressure, the outdrive and the hull are free to go where they want. Also, there are too many places where things are hinged or attached with a coupling - any slop just adds up. I only see it at "headway" speed - absolutely no wander at faster speeds.

I even notice this in my kayak. If I'm dogging it , the kayak tends to wander. Once I pick up the pace, it tracks very straight."

Back