Logo

Water in my lower unit grease

dcurtis229

"About 1 month ago I hit a roc

"About 1 month ago I hit a rock and broke my prop, skeg, and cracked my lower case. I replaced the prop and welded my case up and there are no leaks. During this process I had to remove the lower case from the upper and when I did the paper gasket tore and I did not have access to one so I just used permatex to make one. I took the boat out and it ran great but when I got it out I checked the grase and it was low and had water in it. There were no obvious leaks anywhere but I pulled the prop off and there was greasy water in behind it. So my question is did I damage something internally when I hit that rock or did I do something wrong when I put the lower unit back on? Or will the permatex not work for that application? Thanks in advance"

Sounds like when you hit the r

Sounds like when you hit the rock it messed up your prop seal.

"What year and drive and someo

"What year and drive and someone will jump right in here that has done it. I have read posts in here and it isn't that hard, need a long puller and make sure your shaft is not bent any or will just wear it back out. Here is a little info you can read up on to give you an idea. http://www.sterndrive.info/id11.html"

Bought the lower unit seal kit

Bought the lower unit seal kit today and was hoping someone could give me some insight as to how to install them and how to remove the prop shaft. thanks

No need to remove the prop-sha

No need to remove the prop-shaft unless it is bent.
Just unscrew the four screws holding the bearing-carrier and pull it out.
However before you start I suggest You do a vacum/pressure test of the drive to see if You might pin-point the leak. (must be done with drive assembled).

"No need for pliers, just the

"No need for pliers, just the socket to remove the 4 screws. However pulling out the bearing-housing migh be a different matter - sometimes heat and a puller is needed!"

Back