Logo

New Shift Cable

cathy

Contributing Member
"After getting the new shift c

"After getting the new shift cable and installing it, put the outdrive back on and all seemed fine. Got back into boat shifted forward and then reverse and neutral and noticed that the little lever in the V shaped groove, mounted on the side of the engine stays on top of the little hump, when in F. or R, but returns to the valley when in neutral. Any reasons why this is?"

"Hey Cathy, you have got to st

"Hey Cathy, you have got to start over again with all the cable adjustments being you adjusted it before with the wrong shift cable! Know it's a pain in the rear, but only way!"

"Hi Steve, thanks for the repl

"Hi Steve, thanks for the reply, here is the problem, now hubby feels like he is in over his head. My question is this, do we have to seperate the lowere unit from the upper to check the shift rod height again? Do we have to go back to that point? Because we did take the outdrive off and started from that point and made the adjustments which he thought were correct. The only thing we didn't do was seperate the units,upper and lower."

"If you had the shift rod heig

"If you had the shift rod height adjusted right the first time and didn't take drive apart, should be fine on that. Yep, only way to adjust shift rod is take apart again! I think you just need to adjust the cables that attach to the engine by these steps first at bottom of page: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/kw-shift.html After that if it still sits on the "V" (which mine did), try this: The part with "little humps" the shift interupter switch rides on, behind it is a a V shaped spring in there. Can take the nut off and pull it off. I strected mine open a tat, not much, put it back on. Put some white lithium grease on all the parts the cables connects to and any part that moved. Adjusted them, worked ok. Sounds like your getting close now!"

Isn't the little arm suppo

Isn't the little arm supposed to sit in the valley of the V? Not on the hump part Righ? Just double checking to make sure on that/

"Also my next question and I a

"Also my next question and I am truly sorry for being a bother, When you put the outdrive back on.........isn't it supposed to be in nuetral,outdrive and in the boat at the control box? Then do you make those adjustments on the bottom of Hastings page after that? Just a little confused on that point"

"You are not a bother at all.

"You are not a bother at all. Glad to help with what I learned doing mine. Yes, before you put the outdrive back on, make sure the shift lever is in neutral. The bellcrank should be 90 degrees and the shift lever will slip over the bellcrank when putting it back on. I left all my cables disconnected when putting drive back on. Then after all the drive is on, start on the cable adjustmants by those steps. Tip: I also put a layer of thin grease on the bellcrank and where it goes into the shift lever. Let me know what happens!"

"Forgot arm: Yes, when you get

"Forgot arm: Yes, when you get all the cables adjusted right, it should sit in the valley. The only time it is on top of the V is when you start to shift into reverse or forward."

"Okay Steve, he is in the proc

"Okay Steve, he is in the process of putting the drive back on now. I think we made our mistake by not following the five steps. Don't ask me why, but we just assumed, (ass out of you and me) that this all should be done in nuetral....what a couple of idiots......now on to the five steps..........."

"Hey Steve if you are still th

"Hey Steve if you are still there........It completely engages in nuetral and reverse, but not forward.........Help someone...."

Back