Logo

Stern drive stuck

rammyii

"I attempted to install by reb

"I attempted to install by rebuilt stern drive today and it is stuck. I checked the alignment prior to installation and that was perfect. We followed the manual oiled the shaft o rings greased the spline, put grease on the coupler and it stopped sliding in once we got to the studs. Now we can't remove the drive either, it is stuck and will not move in either direction. I have to take it off now to replace the gasket which we damaged trying to remove the drive, any suggestions you may have would be great.

Thanks"

"I would still suspect the o r

"I would still suspect the o rings are causing it to be hard to get back off (too much oil??), you may have to gently pry it off carefully. When you greased the spline you have to be careful not to get any grease on the very tip of the splines because when you slide it in the grease goes into the coupler and any on the end will get trapped in there and you end up trying to compress that grease because it has no where to go."

"Thanks Bob, I guess I should&

"Thanks Bob, I guess I should've read up on this before I tried to put the drive back in, I read in the manual to make sure teh splines are greased well, and after an earlier upper gearcase lube issue I thought that more would be better!

When I remove it again I am replacing the bellows, any other little tips I should know???

Thanks"

"The bellows are spiraled so t

"The bellows are spiraled so there is one more coil on one side than the other, when positioning it put the side with more coils (8 I think?) on the bottom, also make note of where the hose clamp is positioned before you remove it so you can get the screw in the same spot otherwise you will have a heck of a time getting to it."

"Ok, I removed the out drive a

"Ok, I removed the out drive and have I have a new U Joint bellow, is there a way of replacing it without removing the pivot housing? I managed to remove the old bellows without taking the housing off but I'm not sure I can see a way of getting the new one in. Should I at this point remove excess grease from around the bearings etc?

Thanks."

Back