Logo

Ciphering Hull Numbers

oilguy

Contributing Member
I have managed to identify wha

I have managed to identify what most of the numbers mean in the hull number... But I have a question about 2 letters
VUD-18-0031-C
This is what I know:
V = Cavalier
U = Utility
18 = length
0031 =production #
but what does the D & C mean?
I know one of them is the Mfg plant location and both of the letters correspond to a location but it can't be built is 2 places...
C = Cadillac MI
D = Salisbury MD

The reason I started trying to cipher this code is I am trying to find out what original is....
What is the Floor suppose to be.... is there suppose to be vinyl on the deck? If so what color?
Seat color? Engine cover wood or vinyl...
Right now the outside of the boat is painted white... I think it is suppose to be varnished...
So I have a lot of information to gather and I am having trouble finding it on the net....

Any idea where to look?

Th C is the location code it i

Th C is the location code it is normally the last letter in the hull number the first 3 identify the boat. The number in the middle is the production code.

That is what I am kinda findin

That is what I am kinda finding out... I am thinking the "D" is something to do with the year model... The letter corresponds with the year model >> A= 1st year of production of that model...
I am probably wrong ... but that is the conclusion I have come to as of now.

"OK here you go if you don&#39

"OK here you go if you don't know already VUD-0031-c is a 1965 or 66 (my best guess is 65) 18' Cavalier Custom Ski Boat the vua,b,c versions were the 18' Cavalier Custom Utility made from 53 to 62. They made 100 hulls of the Custom Ski so there are probably not a lot of them left, the boat came with a 283 or 327 motor"

Thanks Mark...
Any idea where

Thanks Mark...
Any idea where I can find a list of options and interior colors available for this model? I am running into a dead end... I am not particular about going strict original with it... I am looking for fun durable dependable.... My wife is doing the upholstery and she is asking me for colors and patterns...
Any idea for direction?

OK here goes:
Bottom Color: C

OK here goes:
Bottom Color: Copper Bronze
Water Line Color: White
Hull Side Color: Blue
Deck Color: White Vinyl with Blue King plank
Upholstery: White & Silver Blue

Hope that helps!

WOW!!!
How did you find that

WOW!!!
How did you find that info???
Is there a guide that I haven't found on the net??
What is Blue king plank?

I have seen Cav's with varnished hull sides & decks... is that not original?

Right now mine has red vinyl interior and red vinyl deck with white hull sides... and of course copper bronze bottom... Were there no other options in 65?

Thank you for the information you have shared so far... I want to find out all I can about this boat before I get too far into it.

I just rebuilt the tranny and should have it back together this evening and then I want to fire the engine before I pull it out of the boat to redo floor in it.

"I know this guy, Mark, he&#39

"I know this guy, Mark, he's a walking encyclopedia of boating information, and an allaround good guy too.

You should contact the Mariners Museum for the packet they can provide you upon submission of your hull number to them. They'll look it up, and they can tell you where the boat was sold, the options it had, and even copy some of the sales brochures of the day. It would be very valuable in restoring the boat to original condition. I think you can get all this for 35 bucks.

Good luck on your project, the SBC powered Cavs are great ski boats.

Paul"

Back