Logo

Final Adjustments

cathy

Contributing Member
"While making final adjustment

"While making final adjustments on our boat, inside and out, for shifting gears, everything seemed to go smoothley. We haven't been able to take the boat out yet do to rough lake, so today we started the boat again and in the midst of all our troubles, the prop was turning when it was supposed to be in neutral.....We did replace the shift cable and made the adjustments per stuart hastings but now we have a new problem......I am not sure how to discribe it, but we had forward, nuetral, and reverse while my husband and his friend made some kind of adjustment on the engine. Tightening some pins. Now we lost nuetral. Could our ESA switch be bad?"

"shifting is mechanical. the

"shifting is mechanical. the ESA helps with the shifting, but does not directly participate in the actual shift. A bad ESA will make the shifting harder, but will not prevent getting in and out of gear.

Are you sure you followed stuart's directions exactly? I did and found that my shifting is as good as new. Did you disconnect the throttle when you adjusted the shift cables?

Not sure about the pins - you'd need to be more specific to know how they may/may not be contributing to the problem.

My suggestion is to start over with all the "stuart" adjustments. It seems like the "throw" on the remote is not translating into enough movement to get the prop out of gear."

"We adjusted the overstroke ca

"We adjusted the overstroke cams, and now we cannot get it out of reverse,it appears to be stuck in reverse no matter where we put the gear shift handle. It stays in reverse. Now mind you first adjustments it ran fine. This just happened today........."

I would not be surprised if th

I would not be surprised if the inner core of the gear-cable: engine-transom have slipped out of the end-piece.
I have seen it happend when un-experienced have changed cable and not been carefull enough to be sure the cable is all the way into the end-piece before tightening the two small screws. You must see the core-cable in the small hole between the screws and big attachment hole.

"The core cable has been seen,

"The core cable has been seen, and is properly adjusted at the engine. However we did find, at the outdrive, a very loose, what appears to be shift cable guide at the bellcrank? The plastic guide where the bell crank gets attatched to wobbles up and down . We found the (pin)? slipped out of the guide.........."

You are not going to believe t

You are not going to believe this one. Is there a black cat walking by? A ladder I need to walk under? The marina sold us the wrong shift cable. If you can stand this pain anymore I will let you know how it goes with the replacement cable.....they provided us today........

Back