Logo

1985 GM 30 OMC Stringer 400

mlaclaire

Hi All :
I was on my way back

Hi All :
I was on my way back into the dock at about half throtle when it sounded like the boat (1985 21" trophy Hardtop)went into neutral. The motor reved and that was the end of the prop turning. No forward No reverse. I'm going to pull the outdrive this weekend and see what I can find . The shifter cables seem to be working but the prop and the prop shaft while in gear spin freely .Where sould I start looking? Water pump drive shaft . I did get stuck in the mud on an unusualy low tide a few days befor this happend. Over heated a little bit but seemed to clear up. Also with out a belt on the front of the motor it overheats very fast ( alternator froze and burned off the belt about a month ago) should the pump in the outdrive still circulate enough water to keep the temp down. I've heard that the OMC outdrive is the worst but it's all I got

Thakyou for any help

I brouhgt the outdrive home to

I brouhgt the outdrive home to work on it. while turning the Ball gear at the top of the drive the prop doesn't move but I can hear some grinding from the middle of the drive. I'll take it apart tonight and see what it looks like .

water pump shaft splines proba

water pump shaft splines probably let go - grease the next one with Castrol Pyroplex Blue - doesn't wash out over the years...

Hystat You hit the nail on the

Hystat You hit the nail on the head. The water pump drive shaft and the shaft it goes into is all stripped out. Time to go shoping. Anyone know where to get these parts?

Thanks.

Thank you everyone!
I ordere

Thank you everyone!
I ordered the parts today . Now some magic getting it all back together and I'll be back after the stripers & football Tuna in no time.
Thanks again.

put the outdrive back on . the

put the outdrive back on . the bateries where low and couldn't get started the engine would turn over and almost fired up. then got a jump but the starter just clicked. began removing the starter but can not reach the bolt under the starter. Looks like i have to jack up the engine to get to the starter. is anything easy on these OMC Stringer mount systems. or should I put a bullet in it?

starter bolts are the exact sa

starter bolts are the exact same location with mercruiser- I would do a lot of other things before pulling the starter from your description of the problem

Back