Logo

2002 Yamaha 150 XRTA start prob

crabincrazy

"I was out in the boat running

"I was out in the boat running good. engine stalled. turned the key and nothing happened, no gauges and no try from the motor. Battery seemed good and I was able to jump the motor from battery to the starter after a few tries the motor ran. Going back to the ramp the gauges, gas and volt, were working then they would go dead and the motor would drop in power. then the gauges would come back to life and the motor would return to full power. this went off and on all the way back in. When I got home I checked the ignition and it was working again. However, now it is back to doing nothing. Any help? I replaced the ignition switch and the problem is still there."

"You must have a loose connect

"You must have a loose connection somewhere. I would suggest disconnecting all of your main battery connections from both the battery and the engine and starter clean them and replace. Also check all of your wiring harnesses to make sure something isn't slightly pulled apart. Check the main lead going from the battery or starter to your main fuse box and the ignition switch. If nothing else works try cutting the problem in half of start at one end of the system and work your way through it. You should start at the battery, by testing the voltage and then move to the engine, then through the ignition system. Good Luck!"

"Battery voltage was good. pow

"Battery voltage was good. power to starter good.
However, not getting any power readings at the wires going to ignition switch. Therefore, I get no reading coming out of the start relay when the key is turned. I assume the power must go to the ignition before start relay. Do you no if the oil injection system may be causing the problem. does it cut power to the ignition if it is not working? I used the emergency oil pump toggle switch and do not see anything coming into the oil tank on the motor. could that be way the motor was running full open and then to half power on its own? I appreciate your help.
Scott"

"I am not as familiar with you

"I am not as familiar with your exact wiring as probably some other people might be, but if you are correct and the oil pump does have an automatic shutoff, then you could try to bypass it long enough to test the ignition switch, If you know or think the pump is not working then you should probably fix that first anyway to make sure you aren't running the engine without oil. If you don't find this to be the problem try tracing the main power lead back from the ignition switch to its source of power."

"Yes, I did get the motor work

"Yes, I did get the motor working. I ended up having 2 broken wires in the 10 wires connector form the ignition. One wire was the ignition power wire and one was the tachometer wire. After splicing the wires the oil transfer began to work and the tachometer worked. Some how the oil transfer is tied to the tach. I have plans to replace the entire 10 wire connector over the winter."

Back