Logo

Help with omc 400 shift cable housing

draven620

Regular Contributor
does anyone know i replaced m

does anyone know i replaced my seals in my 1978 omc 400 and when we did the rubber housing around the shift cable ripped apart from the cabel where it is atached inside the lower unit to some housing is there any way to fix it or will i have to buy a new one the cable is fine just the rubber around it inside the lower unit i would hate to buy a new one they are 560.00 dollars and if i cant fix it are 400 series lower units compatible with 800 if i atach a whole new lower unit right to the 400 motor

Is this the rubber tube from t

Is this the rubber tube from the back side of the haull that runs up to the motor? The lower shift cable runs in? If so go to AutoZone and buy a hose repair kit. It will splice the hose and it should be good.

cant find a rubber repair kit

cant find a rubber repair kit dont have a autozone within a 100 miles and napa and carquest have never heard of one.any other ideas and how compatible is a 800 series lower unit to a 400 series motor.

Get a rubbuer hose that is a l

Get a rubbuer hose that is a little bigger than that hose and slide it over the other hose that has the cable in it. Use some kind of sillicone and hose clamps to clamp it on the hose. Dont over tighten the clamps just enough to hold the hose on the other hose. I looked at mine and it will work. You only need about 6" of hose about 3 on each side for a sure fit.

didnt work the cable is ripped

didnt work the cable is ripped of right were the plug goes onto the assembly so there was no way to connect the house and hold it together any other ideas

Do you have pic of the tube? P

Do you have pic of the tube? Put up a pic and i bet i can find something to fix it. That is what i was good at when i worked at the dealer ship. Fix it for penny on a dollar LOL!

Back