Logo

I think my timming belt mayhave jumped

bbbobbb

"I think my timming belt mayha

"I think my timming belt mayhave jumped a tooth. Is there a mark on the fly wheel and mating gears so I can put the gears back in alignment. I have a 87' cobra 2.3L Baylinner Capri, thanks for your response"

"Hi i have same engine and boa

"Hi i have same engine and boat.before you start fidderling what makes you think belt has slipped?

uhoh.gif
"

"I checked everything possible

"I checked everything possible,When #1 cylinder is at tdc (at compression)the rotor in the distributer is pointing about 180 degrees off of where it should be at. Also as far as I know the belt have never been changed"

Has the cotter pin snapped tha

Has the cotter pin snapped that drives the ditributer? this happened to mine last weekend and we thought the cam belt had slipped!

what do you use the bayliner for?

"I pulled the distributer out

"I pulled the distributer out and rotated the shaft 180 degrees and that put the timing right on. It fired up like a champ, runs like new.
I did'nt get to look if anything happened to the pin you mentioned, but I guess if the pin broke it would'nt run
Has any one have this happen to them (the rotor shaft moves out of location on its own ?) thanks for all input, Now I get to fix all the other things that need TLC"

hi what can happens it will ho

hi what can happens it will hold its own untill its underload then it will spin have a look at the pin it wont take long. but please do change that cam belt! if you put a 13 and 3 quarter by 15 pitch prop
on these old bayliners they make a fantastic wake for wakeboarding! i have done most things with this boat if you need any advice please ask.

"thanks for the advice, I pull

"thanks for the advice, I pulled the distr. and checked the gear pin and it was fine. Havent touched the timing belt yet but that looks good. Any other ideas ?"

"Hi
my rota arm moved on its

"Hi
my rota arm moved on its own on saturday, i set it all up, wemt out for the day wakeboarding it started miss firing when i got it home and put the strobe on it it had moved 8 degress . i really dont know what could cause this unless they really dont like towing!"

i would just put in a new used

i would just put in a new used distibuter if the pin looks fine and so does the belt i would replace both and make sure you dapener hasnt rotated cause my old engine when i rebuilt it i replace the harmonic balancer with a sfi aprooved one and i compared them before i put it on and notice the outside ring /only held on by rubber/ rotated a few degrees

Back