Logo

Cobra outdrive Middle plug problem

89capri23l

OK new to boating - bought a 8

OK new to boating - bought a 89 Bayliner Capri with 2.3L and Cobra outdrive. Took out on Sunday late afternoon - Bartlett Lake Phoenix AZ - 110 during the day. Boat ran ok Engine kept dying - possible old gas. At home decided to check out drive oil - pulled dipstick no oil removed top cover oil on gears but very black and smelly ( gearoil stinks) removed lower plug to drain - no problem. Went to remove middle plug put large screwdriver on the plug and plug went into upper unit - WOW WTF!!! So now I have the plug in the upper unit any advice on how to repair - Can I remove the out drive and have the upper plug retapped??? Area around the plug is corroded.

Also - How do I remove the outdrive 6 bolts on the outdrive and then the 2 hydralic arms bolts??

How heavy is the outdrive - can 2 men handle it??

I believe outdrive is working ok - any way to repair this plug problem - expanding universal plugs ect??

Thanks for all replys and experience.

"Wow - that's some major c

"Wow - that's some major corrosion!

As for removing the outdrive, it's straightforward. I use a u-joint adapter on my socket drive, as i cannot get in straight on the 6 nuts. Remove the arms by taking off one nut (or two) and sliding the rod out.

I typically have such a good seal on the outdrive that it does not fall off when all six nuts are removed. Most of us have to use some sort of prying technique (careful here) to get the unit to separate.

As for moving it, I put an eye bolt thru a 2x4 and then thread the bolt into the top where the dipstick goes. I then get another person to grab one side of the 2x4 and we walk back as the unit separates and then set it on a pair of saw horses.

the plug issue sounds serious. good luck on that."

Ok as stated New to boats:

Ok as stated New to boats:

I have a Cobra outdrive - there is a top oil level check /dipstick and a lower drain plug correct?? The oil in the unit was black but no water.

The plug that went into the unit near the water pump was the water passage plug - a 1 inch plug.
Can I repair this with a expandable plug?? Or some JB weld and a large nut with a plug on the outside?? Yes I am cheap and resourceful.

Thanks in advance.

"The outdrive is not all that

"The outdrive is not all that heavy, one person can handle it.When u get it of u can just lean it on something strong like a wall
What I do us bungee cords attached to the trim cyclinders to hold it up so it doesnt strees the hydrolic lines
How did u turn the screw in if u wanted to take it off ? remember righty tighty"

Can not remove the outdrive -

Can not remove the outdrive - I have removes the 6 bolts and the hydralic rams. Pull outdrive but it will not come off - Do I need to remove the 4 3/8's bolts fromthe out drive up by the pinion gears??

"Just yank real hard, it will

"Just yank real hard, it will come off. There are 2 orings on the main drive shaft that's holding it up"

"with trim rams off. lower the

"with trim rams off. lower the tongue of the trailer so the drive is above ground. lift it some (not all the way) and drop it. should break it loose. for the water plug, anything you can put to seal it will work. DO NOT plug up the passage. never touch it again. it carries some pressure, but not much. when you get the drive off, you can access the inside of the passage.(and get the screw out) if the repair fails, engine will get no water. not a good thing. the middle plug, by the way, is in the lower. use it to fill."

"OK - Connected the lower unt

"OK - Connected the lower unt to the back of my truck with a rope yanked it out and down the street about 4 houses just for the fun of it!!!

Just kidding.

Got it out after some yanking - got the plug out
installed a new gasket and O-ring around water jacket.

Reinstalled the lower unit - Yes it took a little wiggling and swearing and more wiggling and turning the shaft and BINGO it went in.

Also greased the splines, ujoints, after cleaning up old grease. Also replaced the Oring on the water pump - Place I got the parts from did not have a impellar - need to order one.

Started on the driveway with the muffs for water ran about 5 to 7 minutes put in forward, reverse multple time water was pumping through engine temp got up to about 150 so seems to work OK.

I replace the plug with a 1 inch expanding plug from ACE Hardware - I just hope it is not to far back in the passage to block water flow.

OK any other tips for me - I will be taking out on Saturday to test.

Thanks"

I had the same problem. The ex

I had the same problem. The expanding plug will work fine. And it will not block the passage. I have the plug in mine and works great!

Back