Logo

Yamaha 225 leaking oil from main shaft HELP

M

mark milam

"I've already had my mecha

"I've already had my mechanic change the oil pump and seals and o rings. Its coming out of the main drive shaft that runs to the prop. Oil does not accumulate in pan, but runs out of weeping holes on lower unit. About 2 quarts every 4 hours of running and slowly leaks when not running. Mechanic says he's doesn't know what else to do, after already paying him 1100.00. Anyone else had this problem, Motor is 2001 with about 350 hours."

"Thanks for the response JIT.

"Thanks for the response JIT. Another member of this forum had this happen and they found that the drive shaft had worn groves in it, causeing the oil to leak. Yamaha knows there is a problem but it does not happen to all motors, They said it may be happening from the salt water wearing the groves???? When the Mech. pulled my lower unit and we looked at the drive shaft, you could see some shiny rings, but could not feel any grooves. But you can see the oil leaking down the drive shaft, where it comes out of the bottom of the engine. If the oil pan is leaking would it show the same signs, remember, no oil at all in in the engine cover pan. Do you think a new shaft would fix it??? Thanks
Mark"

Back