Logo

LOW RPM CHRYSLER 318

C

carmine albano

" 1976 CHRYSLER 318 INBAORD 22

" 1976 CHRYSLER 318 INBAORD 225 HP
1..IM GEETING CARBON MONIOXIDE UP ON THE FLY BRIDGE WHEN THE BOAT IS CRUSING AROUND 2200 RPMS
2..TOP SPEED 18 MILES PER HOUR AT 3000 RPMS
BEST I CAN GET IS 3000 RPMS OUT OF MOTOR OTHERWISE RUNS GREAT I SUSPECT A BAD CARB
WHAT DO YOU RECOMEND I TROUBLESHOOT, HELP
CARMINE
PLEASE RESPOND "

" Carmine,
How do you k

" Carmine,
How do you know your getting carbon monoxide? Does your igniton system use points? How long has it been since you last serviced the ignition [spark plugs, distributor cap etc.] Was any work done to the carburator lately?
Eddie "

"I suspect "carbon monoxid

"I suspect "carbon monoxide" means a noticeable exhaust smell, usually caused by unburned fuel from running rich or just a sick engine. Sounds like your engine is in need of a tune-up, Carmine. Since your rpm's won't come up, try checking that the advance weights in your distributor are moving properly.

"

" Carmine, I have the same pr

" Carmine, I have the same problem each season. Put on a new distributer cap and rotor and you will be amazed at the difference. Chrysler is prone to these problems from high arc and ozone build up in the cap. "

" Dennis,
Good point. I w

" Dennis,
Good point. I would not diagnose the problem at this stage as being that for sure.
The distributor cap is a much overlooked item. Many shade tree mechanics seem to think that because there doesn't look like there is anything worn out it is still good. Often they will put in new points or module and new spark plugs and keep the old cap in place. In truth a lot can go wong with them. The contacts get pitted and burned from the arcing electricity. I saw one case where a Chevy truck with HEI ignition went 100,000 miles with a cap and rotor. 1/8 inch was burned off the tip of the rotor. They can develop carbon trails that misdirect the spark to the wrong plug. Cracks can develop sometimes too fine to see. On boats sometimes the engine cover has leak or condensation collection point that drips water on the distibutor cap speeding up problems
Eddie "

Back