Logo

1987 30 been sitting almost 10 years

bob_finch

"Hello,
My father-in-law had

"Hello,
My father-in-law had a 1987 Bayliner with a model 985042, OMC 3 litre sterndrive. He was a very conscious workman, and prior to the end the 1998 season winterized the engine and outdrive. Then it sat, and sat. Now its been given to us. We are starting to clean, etc. They engine looks great. Only 223 hours on it. They drained the gas from the tank, all the fluids from the engine, fogged the cylinders.

My question is where to start on getting it back on the water? Can anyone provide a list of major steps, and things to look for in an engine that has been dry for so long?

Any particular manual(s) anyone would suggest?

Thanks,"

"A little more clarity. OMC Co

"A little more clarity. OMC Cobra. I just found some items (including the keys
happy.gif
). They used some WD40 in each cylinder to prevent rust. They ran out all the water, but left the oil. The oil on the dipstick is yellow/opaque with some white. Looks like some water got in there.

Thanks again."

Whiteish residue in oil is sig

Whiteish residue in oil is sign of water contamination. Not surprising after sitting all that time. Any gasoline left in fuel system might have some varnishy residue. I'd blow out metal fuel lines. Replace rubber fuel lines with proper CG approved fuel line. Change crankcase oil. Check out distributor for obviouly corroded parts.

Back