Logo

Volvo md1 pistons and rings

D

dan jones

" having removed head and barr

" having removed head and barrel from my md1 , i have decided to have the barrel re-bored, however on enquiry i have been told that pistons and rings are discontinued parts,does anyone know where i could find a pattern replacement manufacturer? i have been told by a local engineering firm that a lister piston could be altered to fit at considerable cost ..almost as much as a second hand yanmar etc... also is there a pattern gasket set? thanks (u.k) "

"Rings should not be a problem

"Rings should not be a problem, I got a set off the shelf from Volvo this summer. New pistons just aint available, I managed to find a chap with a spare barrel and piston which were pretty much unworn. Try for a sound secondhand piston the size you want to bore to (They come in either 20 thou or 40 thou oversize.)."

There are piston manufacturers

There are piston manufacturers out there who service other endustries such as motorcycles and cars. These guys classify what they have by the dimensions of the gudgion pins and the deck hight and the bore size. (Not by the part number and manufacturer) You might try talking to an automotive machine shop that does specialty high end grinding rather than an engineer. The piston makers are out there.

Back