Logo

23 cobra no spark

bbbobbb

"I have no spark, cleaned poin

"I have no spark, cleaned points,cap and inside rotor. Could it be the condenser or coil ? Thanks for the help"

Change out condenser and try a

Change out condenser and try again.

Hello- I have a 2.3L in an 89

Hello- I have a 2.3L in an 89 Bayliner -
Running fine yesterday 3 people on boat pulling a tube around for 45 minutes or so - no problems - Started to head to the other side of lake running about 4000 RPM and suddenly the engine dies. No heating problem - would not restart - towed in - Check spark seems weak white spark. Does the 89 year still have a points and condensor setup??

Bob - did you get yours fixed??

Thanks for all replies.

"Well after the forth day of w

"Well after the forth day of working on my boat I finally got it. For some godforsaken reason the distibuter shaft was rotated 180 degrees. Put it back to number 1 position and it fired right up like a kitten. I have no I idea how this happened. I pulled the dist. and checked the gear pin and it did'nt slip.
Jay, The first thing I would check is the main (50 amp) fuse, then the timing belt.
Good luck"

Bob - 50 amp main is OK Thanks

Bob - 50 amp main is OK Thanks - pulled dist cap off yanked on condensor wire and out it came. Got new points and condensor - installed - gapped points at .018 (old points were at .018 also) started right up. Now a couple of new questions -
1. I started the engine with no water attached just to test ran for 10 seconds - How bad is this on the impellar (water pump) I assume the water helps lubricate the impellar.

2. Point gap set to .018 - do I need to check the Dwell angle?? What about the timing?
What is the timing spec 2.3L engine??

I plan on running tomorrow with water attached so I can check the timing.

Thanks

"10 seconds is fine just to fi

"10 seconds is fine just to fire it up. Not sure of the timing, but I need to check mine because yesturday I had mine out and it was backfiring off the start."

Back