Logo

Hard to start cold with other symptoms

ledesign

"Hi all, I have a 1987 Bayline

"Hi all, I have a 1987 Bayliner with a 2.3L. I have a hard cold starting problem that has me stumped.

When the motor is cold, the motor is almost always EXTREMELY hard to start. Choke plate is closed. The only way I can start it is to sit at full throttle. Then, I crank the starter. The motor starts to fire, but I have to keep on the starter for an additional 10-15 seconds to assist the motor and keep it from dying. It will often take 10-15 tries like this until it stays alive. As you can imagine, this is an ugly, stinky process, especially on a crowded day at the launch. Other symptoms:

1- After getting through this nasty process, prior to being warmed up, it is prone to dying when putting in gear. The ESA module really gives it a challenge, so I shift quickly! Also, once in gear, I have to keep the motor at full throttle or it dies. It will bog and stumble for 2-3 minutes before it comes to life, then I can back down on the throttle. All the while it is nasty rich.

2- Once the engine is warmed up, almost everything seems fine (see #3 below). Choke plate opens fully. Runs well and restarts are not a problem.

3- On occasion, I will shut off and change skiers. I will re-start with no problem. Upon engaging forward, though, the motor will bog for 15-30 seconds and then come around. I must maintain full throttle through this or it dies. This happens maybe 1 time in 5.

4- I believe this is all carb related. I had similar symptoms two years ago. I rebuilt the carb and it started and ran good. After maybe 10 hours of run time, though, the problem returned and has gotten progressively worse.

5- Last week I started in the driveway on muffs. I fine-tuned the choke plate before I cranked the motor. Fired right up. Perfect, I thought! We went to the lake a week later, about a 30 minute drive, and it was back to ugly.

While this feels choke related, symptom #3 makes me think something else is in play. Note I have spent a LOT of time messing with the choke adjustment (it is an electric unit), but it seems like something else is going on beyond the static setting. I thought the power valve might be hanging open, which I've seen on another carb, but it seems to move pretty well.

What do you think???"

"I wanted to add, the spark se

"I wanted to add, the spark seems fine with proper timing, and I've got good fuel pressure. At this point I'm leaning back towards the power valve; thinking of shooting some teflon in there. Anyone?"

Back