Logo

TAMD 61A OVERHEATING

W

westwndfish

"I overheat with additional we

"I overheat with additional weight in the boat. Two people , no problem. 6 people with their gear- overheat. Cleaned heat exchanger,cleaned after cooler, rebuilt salt water pump, new impeller. Also removed all prestone because prestone holds heat. The boat is a 30 ft Baha with a 20 x 20 4 blade wheel. Additionally, see fuel on the water at idle, no smoke when running. Any info would be greatly appreciated."

"I have a 42 ft. with 2 61A&#3

"I have a 42 ft. with 2 61A's. the faster I go over 1200 RPM, its starts to heat up. at 1700, it is up to 195', over 2000 RPM and it over 210'.
replace raw water pume, clean heat exchange and oil cooler. Looks like lots of water coming from rear of boat.
anyone with a idea"

"HAVE SAME PROBLEM... JUST HAD

"HAVE SAME PROBLEM... JUST HAD AFTERCOOLER CLEANED. IT HELPED SOME, BUT NOT ENOUGH."

"Do you find yourself adding c

"Do you find yourself adding coolant every once in a while?

Do you find coolant in the bilge and kind of ignore how it got there??

If so, you've got to find out what's causing this loss of coolant and how the coolant is getting into the bilge.

My suggestion - Put a nice big piece of clean cardboard under your engine and go for a boat ride (of course you've got to keep the cardboard away from the hot stuff). If coolant is ending up in the bilge, this may be a way to find out where it's coming from.

If you run the engine hard enough and long enough, I suspect the cardboard will have an obvious wet spot under the expansion tank in the vicinity of the cap.

If so, here's what's happening - the head gasket is allowing combustion pressure to pressurize the cooling system - then the expansion tank cap has no choice but to vent the pressurized coolant into the bilge - the engine will run okay until the volume of coolant left in the engine drops below a certain level and then you will experience an instant over-heat as opposed to a gradual one - and backing off the throttle doesn't help because too much of the coolant has been lost....."

problem solved after taking of

problem solved after taking off and cleaning out the exhaust elbow.

Back