Logo

Engine ear muffs Do they work

J

jess owens

" I have puchased a commercial

" I have puchased a commercial set of ear muffs for attaching the water hose to my outboard. For some reason I do not get any circulation. I only let it run for a minute or so before shutting it down because I don't want to cook my engine. Why don't they work. Other people use them all the time. Am I not giving the engine time to warm up before the tstat opens maybe. please help, its a real pain not being able to crank and run for tune ups etc. "

Most motors I've seen put

Most motors I've seen put out water as soon as they are started. When the motor is in the water durring nomal use does it take a minute to flow if not it shouldn't with the Muffs either. Maybe the water pump is shot.
Just my Two cent's worth.

Thanks for the reply Kirk. It

Thanks for the reply Kirk. It's pumping water right at start up when in the water. Just appears like I don't get a good seal with the muffs. Quit a bit of water coming out from around them. Know any tricks? I did buy a decent set. Heavy wire rod running around the hose for a good squease to the inlets. Dry as a bone coming from the tell-tale though. Could the pump be just weak enough to not create a siphon but strong enough when totally immersed?

" Jess
If you have water comm

" Jess
If you have water comming out around the muffs you should have enough pressure to supply water into the inlets.I've never had any trouble with them. But if the motor has set idle for a while especialy outside the inlets may be plugged by insects or mud wasp larve, I have seen that before. if those are clear I would check the pump or submerge the unit in a barell or bucket and see if that works.
Good luck let me know what you find out I'm courious. "

" Guys, I have the same exac

" Guys, I have the same exact problem... I have a 135 mercury '98. Just took the boat out for the season and is on blocks. I am trying to witerize when I noticed the muffs where not making it pee. I bought bigger muffs. same. Stuck wire in hole. same. I am afraid to let it run too long also... It was peeing from the top hole in lower cawl when it was in the water. With the muffs it only pees out of the two holes in the lower unit directly above the prop. What else could it be? Should I worry? Any help would be greatly appreciated. "

" Kirk
I use the boat on a ro

" Kirk
I use the boat on a routine basis. Runs for hours on the lakes with no hint of overheating. It's on an 18 ft Ranger and runs out fine. It's weird that I can't get the muffs to operate right. Thats precisely why I didn't pick up an inexpensive set. I get no water out of any holes but like I mentioned earlier, I don't let it run but maybe a minute. I even tried it at a fast idle and the same thing happens---NOTHIN. Any help will be appreciated. "

" Some muffs although they hav

" Some muffs although they have cups on both sides only flow water on one side.I don't know if all outboards have water inlets on both sides or if some have inlets on only one side.If yours has only one ,make sure you have the muffs on with flow on that side. "

" Some muffs although they hav

" Some muffs although they have cups on both sides only flow water on one side.I don't know if all outboards have water inlets on both sides or if some have inlets on only one side.If yours has only one ,make sure you have the muffs on with flow on that side. "

" i have a 125hp force, when i

" i have a 125hp force, when i put the muffs on it, the tell tail doesnt have any water coming out for around 5 mins, but water comes out the holes abit lower. just let it run for abit and the water will start coming out. or give abit of a rev. cheers "

Back