Logo

Dont have the special tool to reset up the shift cable Is there another way

okcguy75

I cleaned it and trying to put

I cleaned it and trying to put it back to gether and the marine shops are telling me i need 3 tools to do it right. Is there another way with out the special tool?

A small carpenters square to s

A small carpenters square to set shift rod height to 7 13/64" and tape measure works for cable adjustments. The web site Bob gave you will tell you all the measurements. Web site worked excellent for me.

It is hard to see the pic. Im

It is hard to see the pic. Im having a hard time trying to figure out what the straightedge is used for? The pic is black and white. Realy fuzzy.

"Can use the straight edge to

"Can use the straight edge to measure the shift rod height. Measure from case casting not the shift rod cover. Set your carpenters square to 7 13/64 inches, put the narrow end of the square on the case and the 90 degree top of the square on top of the shift rod. Make sure it is in neutral."

PS: I printed out the pictures

PS: I printed out the pictures and were much more easier to see.

So i need to meassure from the

So i need to meassure from the inside of the case? I have the out drive out but not the bottom droped?

"Hi, hopefully Bob will come b

"Hi, hopefully Bob will come back and help more on this one! Yes, it has to be measured from the top of the bottom lower unit on the inside. Being you have not had it apart and if you have not turned the shift rod, might not need to adjust it. But if you do want to make sure it is correct, I am sure it has to be seperated as I could not measure mine with them together. If it is adjusted too far one way, will have forward and no reverse, too far the other way, no forward and just reverse vise versa. As touchy as these drives are to be exact measurements, now is a good time as the bottom unit will not seperate from the top attached to the boat. Maybe someone can jump in here to advise to adjust it or leave it as is?"

Ok i see! But i never pulled i

Ok i see! But i never pulled it apart before and it shifted great but the cable been bad. Hummm i wounder if i should tear it down... I dont have gaskets at all for the outdrive damn! hahaha. Thanks for all the help guys this has been alot easier with this wounderfull website.

"If the lower unit has not bee

"If the lower unit has not been down and the rod hight not adjusted, there should be no need to 'adjust' it."

"Yes...you need to split the u

"Yes...you need to split the units to measure or adjust the shift rod. Maybe you don't have to, hopefully it was correct before and all you need to do is replace/adjust the lower shift cable?"

Back