Logo

Yamaha 130 ETD 1990 Bogs down when throttling up and sometimes at speed

B

BrianMJarvis

I have a 1990 Yamaha outboard

I have a 1990 Yamaha outboard (V4 130hp ETD). It is mounted on a Welcraft 170 classic (1990). I have owned it for 10 years and the motor has always run fine - except for the occasional slow throttle-up. At the end of last season I was running at around 30 mph and the motor sputtered and bogged down. I could only travel at about 6 mph. I tried again and the motor would not power up although it did run at low speed. I tried again and while I was thottling up I hit the choke switch on the control box and it powered up onto plane and I was running at 30 mph again! Took it in for service and the mechanic said that the ethanol in the fuel had caught up with me???? I had the carbs cleaned. and this year I have the same problem. It starts & runs great but occasionally bogs down at speed. if I hit the choke switch for a second - the motor catches and runs fine. Primer bulb is hard and spark seems to be ok...Any suggestions?

Yep...took the boat in to have

Yep...took the boat in to have them cleaned. Mechanic showed me a 1 year old carb that was all gummed up...he said there are lots of problems with all makes and model due to - he thinks - the ethanol acting as a cleaning agent in the tanks and sending all the crud through the fuel systems...I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well - mechanic called - said

Well - mechanic called - said the carbs are fine - but the water separator was 1/2 full of water. He said that I should have the fuel tank pumped out to get rid of ant water that might still be in the tank - or I will continue to have the problem...Any suggestions on the best way to do that?

Pumped out the tank last night

Pumped out the tank last night...there was water in the fuel...I could see it. it's a 24 gallon tank - how much seafoam should I use when I refill it?

OK...Thanks...Ran the boat las

OK...Thanks...Ran the boat last night after refilling tank...ran perfectly. I was out for about 2 hours in Narragansett Bay...no problems at all. Good power from idle up through 4200rpms (which as fast as I ran it)...also did some slow speed trolling - no issues. I will be running it in NH this weekend. I'll let you know how that goes.Thanks a lot for the input - it is much appreciated!

"Brian, I just read an excelle

"Brian, I just read an excellent article on the E10 (10% ethanol) fuels. All the major outboard mfg's contributed. Some of the notes/recommendations were as follows:

This gas gets old in 3 weeks, so run fuel stablizer "all the time".

It also sucks the water right out of the humidity in the air, so when not in use, close all gas tank vents and further seal them (they recommend a rubber cap that can be fitted over any opening.

Use a fuel/water separator (which you are) and carry lots of spare cartridges.

Keep the tank as full as possible so that trapped air can't be condensed (creating a further water problem) - or alternately, fuel only enough so that essentially you run out every week...."

Thanks Graham! I normally do k

Thanks Graham! I normally do keep it full - but I have only been using the stabilizer when I winterize. My mechaninc told me to use it all the time as you stated...which I will now do. I guess I could cap the tank vent when not in use also...it's right above my gas cap - all I'll need to do is find something that fits it. I'm actually using duct tape at the moment. I also think the gas cap - which is on a relatively flat surface - may be letting water in.

"OK - more mystery...Put the b

"OK - more mystery...Put the boat in on friday morning...same bogging down problem as before. Again choking did the trick. Put it back on the dock for a day. Took off the water seperator dumped it in a jar, waited over night to see if the any water would seperate from the fuel...nothing. Then ran the boat all day Sunday - pulling the kids on a tube and running around the lake...NO PROBLEMS. It ran like a new engine...maybe there was some residual moisture in the system some where???"

Boat has been running fine sin

Boat has been running fine since July 22. I have probably been through a complete tank of gas at this point...refilled along with Stabilizer & Ring free (mechanics suggestion)...Still running fine. Also - I have been sealing the vent with a wrap electrical tape when we are not using the boat. I remove it when I use the boat. Seems to be an easy way minimize the contact between the gas in the tank and the humid air we have been getting in the northeast the past fews weeks.

Back