Logo

Oil level

thebreez

"just bought a new Honda 20 an

"just bought a new Honda 20 and love it,
but the dip stick reads to much oil,
it's past the top mark by an inch or more.
should I be concerned?"

"Mike, is the motor brand new?

"Mike, is the motor brand new? or just new to you...

Was the oil level good and then after running there is too much? or you just noticed...

It may have just been overfilled.."

"Yes it is brand new, checked

"Yes it is brand new, checked it when cold and on and off the boat in upright. have put about 3 hours on it."

"Well, then, assuming it wasn&

"Well, then, assuming it wasn't overfilled there is a "foreign liquid" getting into the crankcase.

That is not good - could be water (bad) or gas (very bad) - in the first case it could seize the motor in the second it could cause something much worse.

I would immediately take it in to the dealer and personally would ask for a completely new motor, but at the very least let your warranty look after it until all issues have been identified and addressed...."

"The engine needs be level wit

"The engine needs be level with the ground (or water) when you check the oil. If it is tilted back at an angle the oil will appear too high. It holds almost exactly a quart, if you want to drain it and start over to be sure."

"thanks Honda Dude, what do yo

"thanks Honda Dude, what do you think of synthetic oil? how much viberation should this engine have, hard for me to know with a small motor like this you cant test drive one, it has a good bit of viberation at lower rpm, well more than I expected, never had a 4 stroke."

"I wouldn't spend the extr

"I wouldn't spend the extra $$$'s on synthetic oil, but if you do, wait for a season or two before you use it. You want the rings well broken in before you uyse synth. The BF15/20 vibrates a bit more than the 8/9.9. The vibration dampeners tend to stop the vibration from causing the tiller handle to vibrate, but the engine will vibrate noticeably. For power to weight ratio, this engine can't be beat."

Back