Logo

1986 OMC 30 GMC hard to start when cold

R

Richard Wright

" Boat hard to start when cold

" Boat hard to start when cold. New plugs, new wires, new coil, new points, new condensor. Went to the lake, came home, started boat once a day for three straight days. Let the boat sit for five days without starting. Boat will not start. Took boat to my mechanic, mechanic made all checks for fire and gas. He could not find anything wrong, but would not start. Took boat to boat dealership. Mechanic there said plugs were fouled. Went to lake. Came home. Boat sat for seven days. Has not started since. ????? "

" Richard,
When swapping

" Richard,
When swapping out ignition components be aware that new parts are not aways perfect. I would start by getting another condenser. You should replace the plugs being that they are fouled. Next I would replace the distributor cap again. If it still doesn't fire I'd focus on the coil. In older boats , and cars for that matter, sometimes the contacts in the ignition switch get bad with time. In boats the ignition switches are standard and easy to replace. Marine switches have a drain hole in the cylinder. Be sure you install it with the hole pointing down.
Eddie "

" Richard,
Be sure you have t

" Richard,
Be sure you have the correct gap on your spark plugs. Newer GM engines with High Energy Ignition systems use a plug gap that is larger than the point type ignition system. You might have gotten the wrong plug gap if it was assumed that it was the newer type which were in GM cars in that year but not in boats.
Eddie "

Back