Logo

1988 OMC 30 No Start

B

Bass9

"Hello, I have a 1988 Four Win

"Hello, I have a 1988 Four Winns I/O 3.0L OMC Cobra that will not start. I got it started for about 30 seconds but had no control with the idle , could not rev up or down it just idled about 1000 RPM's then slowed down and died. Now it won't start at all, I checked the wire coming from the coil to distributor and there's no fire or arching to screwdriver tip, also measuring the negative and positive wires to the coil ther's no voltage with ignition switch on or while trying to start up. Any ideas would be appreciated???"

"I would clean and check the g

"I would clean and check the gap on those points, a bad resistor wire will cause it not to run but it should still start as there are 2 feeds to the pos side of the coil. A full 12v during start and 7 or 8 from the resistor wire during run."

"Thanks for the advice, I thin

"Thanks for the advice, I think the contacts in the distributor were causing the problem all 4 had a little corrosion on them so I cleaned and she fired right up and ran good in the driveway we'll have to wait and see under load in the water. Hopefully will be all okay!! Thanks again!!"

"We took the boat out yesterda

"We took the boat out yesterday and it ran fine for awhile (20-30 minutes) then I went to slow the throttle down and she died and wouldn't start back up. So I took the distributor cap off and cleaned the 4 contacts for the rotor and the points and she fired back up and ran good back to the dock. Does anyone have any advice what to do....maybe change all distributor parts (cap, rotor, points, condensor) or could there be something else causing this problem. Thanks in advance for the feedback!!"

"I just checked the voltage at

"I just checked the voltage at the coil with the ignition switch turned on but not running and measured 12 volts on both positive and negative also the coil wire from distributor to coil is reading 6kohms, this seems quite high but I'm not sure what the typical resistance is on these wires."

"It sounds like it's time

"It sounds like it's time for a full tune up. New cap points/condenser, rotor, plugs and wires."

"Does anyone know where I can

"Does anyone know where I can find the specifications for some of the electrical for a 1988 Four winns with the OMC 3.0 Cobra, like coil wire resistance, etc.?"

Back