Logo

Trying to trouble shoot clogged fuel system

punkyboater

"I replaced the fuel filter an

"I replaced the fuel filter and thought i was done, but the boat still wouldnt start. I have a 1993 Reinell with a OMC Ford 5.0 Cobra. There was a lot of fuel that went bad in the old filter, and the gas became kind of gooey. I took apart the assy that the filter screws into and the cylinder which the fuel travels through after it goes through the filter is clogged. Theres a two wire connector that runs to it as well. The numbers stamped into it are 987068 and 965 3362A. Im guessing this is my faulty part? What is it and what do the wires do? Also where can i find another one if this is indeed my problem. Thanks guys! "HAPPY 4TH""

"some quick research has told

"some quick research has told me thats one of two fuel pumps in my fuel system =)....lets start at the begining...i pumped fuel out of the tank with a jack pump and that was nice and easy so no clog there, but when i powered up and cranked over it seemed like it wasnt getting gas...i took the screw on fuel filter i had just replaced off and it was empty? What gives?"

"I'm not sure how you pump

"I'm not sure how you pumped out the tank but you still have a fuel pickup tube which normally has a fine screen on the bottom and it could be clogged plus normally there is an anti-syphon valve on the top of the tank where your fuel line connects too, also could be clogged. I'm assuming this is fuel injection since you mention 2 pumps? PN 987068 is for an electric fuel pump (sounds like the low pressure pump from your description) It should run for a bit when you first turn the key on to build pressure. Can you remove it and try a bench test before you go and buy another? (they are not cheap)"

There doesnt seem to be any an

There doesnt seem to be any anti-syphon valve on the tank...just a nipple to slide the fuel line onto...i discconnceted it from the fuel filter assy and used a jack pump to pump some fuel out and it cam out nice and easy. Then i cleaned the fuel filter assy and replaced the filter. The next thing the fuel runs through is this elctric pump. It seems to be clogged up with sludge. I disconected the line at the pressure side of the pump and turned the key on and no fuel came out. I then checked for voltage at the wires that go into it and there above 12 volts for a second and i can hear the other pump im assuming come on then the noise goes away and so does the voltage to the fuel pump i seem to be having trouble with. How do i bench test this pump to confirm its bad?

OK...if were able to pull fuel

OK...if were able to pull fuel from the line before the filter then the pick up tube and anti-syphon (if you have one) should be ok. You should be able to remove that first pump and hook up a couple of jumper wires from a battery to test it but if you saw 12v there and the pump didn't run I suspect you've pretty much determined that it's bad.

Yeah i ran 12v's to the pu

Yeah i ran 12v's to the pump and it just barely clicked....the 2nd pump u can hear workin and its identical to the one im having a problem with. I tried spraying some carb cleaner into it but its toast. The guy at the shop said its common when people dont use their boats for a long time and dont store them properly soooo 203.49 and it will be here tomorrow. Wish me luck!

"Okay New pump installed and b

"Okay New pump installed and boat runs good! Heres the thing, when i let the boat idle for awhile the fuel pump starts screaming like...well almost like a pwr steering pump thats low on fluid, but the noise is constant. When i bring the RPM's up the noise goes away and when i bring it back to idle the noise slowly starts back louder and louder....The pump is brand new and almost identical to the one in the back of the engine and that one doesnt make this noise. In my year there is a high pressure fuel system and a low pressure system. The guy at the shop sold me the pump for the high pressure system...from the research ive done on the net the pumps look identical. Could he have sold me the wrong pump and thats causing the noise?"

What's the Pn on the one h

What's the Pn on the one he sold you? If the pump was the one right after the filter that should be the low pressure one.

He sold me a Sierra 18-7330 &#

He sold me a Sierra 18-7330 (High Pressure) =( WRONG PART HUH? Yeah my cigar pump sits right on top of my fuel filter assembly....

The thing is no one has really

The thing is no one has really been able to cross reference the Original pump p/n# 987068 that came off my boat with a sierra pump...I called them this morning and they are getting me the low pressure pump. Ive done all kinds of research on this pump and i still havent really figured out how to tell a High Pressure system from a low pressure system. Since you seem to know Bob can you take me to school on this? I gave them my Model # and Serial# and thats how they came up with this High pressure pump. They said my particular 5.0 uses both so maybe he just guessed? Anyways Like you said Bob my Cigar pump screws right into the top of the Housing that the fuel filter screws into. Is this the identifying mark of a low pressure system? The only thing that made me think i may have a high pressure system was the fact that i have metal fuel lines on the pressure side of the pump but maybe they are all like that???

"I'm not sure how you tell

"I'm not sure how you tell them apart, looking at the link I gave you in previous post above they almost look the same to me. See the pic below, the number they use is 0987701(43) for the low pressure and 0988037 (20), maybe they can cross reference them for you. I can't find any hits on your number of 987068, I'm wondering if that's a sub assembly PN and the whole thing is 987701?

84374.gif
"

"Do you think that the whole s

"Do you think that the whole squealing at idle thing is a pretty much dead give-away that its a high pressure pump in a low pressure system? When i bring the boat to idle it slowly gets louder and louder and the pump starts vibrating and heating up. Then when i crank up the RPMS the noise goes away and the pump cools off and all seems normal. This is what is making me think the pump is operating correctly and that its just the wrong part. When i think about it, if the pump was faulty it would make noise all the time and not just when the pressure starts to build in the fuel system @ Idle. That is my system in the parts view to the T....so ill try the other pump and see what happens...."

Yeah the faulty pump in my boa

Yeah the faulty pump in my boat is 43 in that exploded view. Im picking up the low pressure pump tommorrow and ill see if that fixes it. I guess its kind of a good thing maybe this high pressure pump cleaned out my fuel system for me =)....I'll let you know how this works out guys...Mike

"So i am seemingly wrong....I

"So i am seemingly wrong....I had the other low pressure pump ordered Sierra P/N 18-7326 and my boat will intermitantly fire up for a quick sec and then die....Fuel starvation is what it sounds and seems like. It ran perfect with that high pressure pump but the thing squealed like a stuck pig...Was the high pressure pump possibly compensating for the second fuel pump being bad? I doubt that but i need to be right this time around, i want to get my arms around this thing. Im going to call Sierra Tech Support tomorrow to hopefully get to the bottom of this. If anyone has any ideas/advice please let me know...Thanks"

Back