Logo

Sherwood Brass Water Pump for 1957 Chris Craft K engine

avm7322

"I need to determine if the Sh

"I need to determine if the Sherwood Water Pump on my 1957 Chris Craft has a brass/bronze or rubber impeller. I am told they were made with both. Would like to know if there are external features that would indicate each type of pump. Otherwise, will just disassemble and find out directly. Thanks"

"It is always possible someone

"It is always possible someone installed an aftermarket pump on the motor, however, a standard Hercules flathead has a brass impeller and you can tell by looking to see if it has a little grease cup attached to the top of the pump (most have this feature). The grease is forced into the pump now and then to assure you get lubrication and to also be sure it will prime.

The inside of the pump is basically a set of gears that, when spinning, will force water through the system. They rarely need attention, in my experience. If you are getting water, don't worry about it and just add some grease, if you are overheating, then take the pump apart and check your entire system for potential debris obstruction.

Regards, P"

Back