Logo

Lower gear oil screw newbie

davidof8

"I bought a 6HP Yamaha a year

"I bought a 6HP Yamaha a year ago for my Ranger 23.

About a month ago, I performed the annual maintenance for the engine but for the life of me, I could not loosen the lower gear oil screw. The screw seems to be
"like a flathead" but not quite. half of the screw head is a bit higher than the other half.

does this sound familiar to anyone and any idea if I need a special type of screwdriver or any idea's on how to loosen.

I called the Yamaha dealer that I purchased the engine from and he said it just takes a flathead screwdriver.

thanks"

The screw head sounds defectiv

The screw head sounds defective. Not much you can do about that now. You could CAREFULLY take a dremel and even out the hole so a screw driver will work or build a special tool that fits your situation. Be careful not to break or cut anything that you shouldn't.

"My first thought is if you bo

"My first thought is if you bought it new, and from a dealer, and it's under a year - it's under warranty! Have the dealer "deal with it". If you tinker with it and it's under warranty, then you may void warranty."

I agree; I would not attempt t

I agree; I would not attempt to loosen an oil drain screw without an impact driver.

Tony

Back