Logo

98b Mercury 200EFI

brent

Just bought a boat with a 98

Just bought a boat with a 98 Mercury 200EFI. Is the oil injection on these motors reliable? Have give it some thought on maybe diconnecting it and mixing it myself. Any suggestions? Thanks for you help

Brent

" a little extra work but the

" a little extra work but the only way to assure lubrication,go back to basics. "

" Brent,

I would leave the

" Brent,

I would leave the oil system in place. There is a warning system in case of malfunction, but I always advise people to do two things when first using an engine with an automatic oil system, even a brand new engine.

First, add some oil to the fuel tank. If the oil system does break down, and the alarm doesn't work, even a little oil will prevent the engine from being destroyed. A 100 to one mix in the fuel tank will not harm the engine.

Second, monitor the oil consumption. Fill the oil tank and after using a number of gallons of fuel refill the tank and note the amount of oil that was consumed. Now you will know if the oil system is supplying the proper amount of oil.

Tony "

if your going to add any oil

if your going to add any oil why not the proper amount and feel secure.repairmen love lazy people.

" Mrpops,

If the oil system

" Mrpops,

If the oil system on a Merc is working, it should last forever, if you properly winterize the engine during the off season. Since it is a mechanical pump, driven by a gear on the crank shaft, there really isn't anything that can go wrong with it. It is a much simpler device than the VRO pumps on the Bombardier products, but it provides a varying ratio also. If it is working, you are better off letting it do its job, than mixing the oil yourself, and therefore using a fixed ratio.

If you don't fog the crank properly during a layoff, the driven gear can become sticky, and if you start up in the spring you can strip the gear, causing a failure. Then you would have to split the cranckcase to replace the plastic (?) gear that fits around the crank. In that case it is advisable to mix the oil yourself, and repair the gear when you rebuild the engine (if ever).

Tony "

" Thanks tony, i really apprec

" Thanks tony, i really appreciate the help you and joe and all the other guys do! The 98 efi 200 merc that was on the boat hasn't been run very much. The guy we bought the boat from had it in the water once this year and about 20 times since 99. Any good suggestions on properly going over the motor after it has set for so long with little to none use? It ran good back when we tryed it out in oct. It hadn't been run since march until we tryed it out. I figured water pump, plugs, etc. Also what gas grade would you recommend? The last motor we had was a 88 150 XR-4 merc, and we ran 93 with no trouble. I know alot of guys these days are running 87 octane. Is that suitable or should i stick with high grade for a 200hp? Thanks for your help
brent "

Back