Logo

Stringer pump

hobo

"Greetings group, Old coastie

"Greetings group, Old coastie snipe, needs info on the stringer pump replacement. 1977, 235 Ford power. Question, do i order the upper unit gasket kit in addition to the pump kit ? or wait untill i have the unit apart to check what i need. Question, what is a way to tell the differance between the "high profile" and (low profile ) outdrives ? Thanks for any help , this a labor of love. Hobo"

"You likely have a High Profil

"You likely have a High Profile given the year and size of the Engine. If the Exhaust Housing is a little over 15" in height, it is likely a High Profile. If all you think you need is an impeller then get the entire kit, not just the impeller. That Kit should include the Housing and the housing should not be plastic. Upper Gearcase kit usually requires special tools and experience to install. I recently got my Upper back from being resealed. I did not attempt to do it myself."

"Thanks Lyn, I have read that

"Thanks Lyn, I have read that if no water is delivered to the engine/outdrive within five seconds, the pump will be ruined. If this is true, then mine neeeds to be replaced. Problem i am having is it will start pumping water after a few minutes. Engine temps will rise to 180 degrees or so. So my experience has been, if not right , replace it.
On the gaskets for the upper unit, my question is do i need any gaskets or seals to get at the water pump other then what comes in the pump kit?. Thanks again, Herb"

"The pump kit does come with s

"The pump kit does come with seals that are involved with changing the impeller and housing. You shouldn't need anything else unless there is an idication of Water Intrusion in the Upper. If there is then an Upper Kit would be needed and unless you have the Special Tools and knowlege, it should be done by an experienced OMC Mechanic."

"Make sure also that when you

"Make sure also that when you get the kit it has the impeller, housing, plate and a new key for the shaft. I would go ahead and get the complete seal kit for the upper, as it has new shaft seals and so on that should be replaced anyway once you have it torn down. The seal kit isn't that expensive, and better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Make sure of the key though, as most kits don't include it."

"Thanks Lyn & Dave, Your

"Thanks Lyn & Dave, Your rioght about not getting in over ones head. The special tools plus lack of experience will get me to a shop if needed. I should be able to tell if there is any water intrusion by checking the lubs. The people who have the experience with these units are getting harder to find. Thanks again. Herb"

Back