Logo

1979 johnson 4hp no spark

• Thread starter carola giudicelli
  • Start date
C

carola giudicelli

" Changed the CDI and ignition

" Changed the CDI and ignition coil, still nothing to speak of for power. I am only getting a couple of volts off the coil leads. Any ideas out there? "

"Carola.... I don't recall

"Carola.... I don't recall seeing any past posts related to your problem so I can only comment from here forward.

(Charge Coil)
Using a Ohm Meter, the reading between leads on the charge coil should be 575 ohms plus or minus 75 ohms (500 to 650 ohms). If the reading is lower, replace the charge coil. There should be absolutely no reading between either lead and ground. If a reading (short) exists, replace the charge coil.

Using a Volt Meter and cranking the engine, the AC voltage should be 230v or higher. If lower, replace the charge coil.

(Sensor)
Using a Ohm Meter, the reading between the leads should be 40 ohms, plus or minus 10 ohms (30 to 50 ohms). Any lower reading, replace the sensor. There should be no reading between either lead and ground. If a reading exists (a short) replace the sensor.

Using a Volt Meter and cranking the engine, the reading should be 0.3v or higher. If lower, replace the sensor. (Memory fails me if that voltage is AC or DC... Try it both ways). No doubt another technician can fill in that blank.

The replacement P/Pack I assume was a new one? Even if so, I have on occasion encountered a faulty "new" p/pack. The easiest way to check that possibility is to put the pack on another engine to double check the results. The spark, when you achieve it, should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame.

Joe
"

Back