Logo

It ainbt looking good for the home team

J

jkesselr

"Hey guys, I really need your

"Hey guys, I really need your help! I bought a 1979 18' seaswirl that had a cracked block (305) and an OMC 800 outdrive that was supposedly good. Upon firing the new engine I installed there was a knocking sound that sounded like a rod bearing (see OMC Knock Noise posted a couple weeks back). I knew the motor was good as it was a good used motor a friend had. We tore into the top of the drive as the sound was coming from the bellhousing area or further back. We pulled the top plate off the outdrive and found a gear with two teeth missing. This gear appears to be attached to the same shaft that the ball gears are attached to. I realize I am looking at replacing this gear and completly cleaning out at area (so the old teeth don't end up doing through the new gears). I am short on cash, this was supposed to be a low-buck way to get into boating... Not so much... This is one reason I really wanted to stay away from OMC, but I am here so none of that is gonna change now. What parts am I going to need to fix this, and what am I looking at for good used parts? (keep in mind the short on cash part). Can anybody give me a ballpark idea of what I am looking at cost wise? Any pointers you can offer? Thanks for any help you can offer!"

Looks like new upper stringer

Looks like new upper stringer gearsets for a 5.0 run about $600 + a sealkit. I'd hit up ebay and see what you can find. It may be cheaper to find an entire boat and salvage the drive off it. The 5.0 uses a 21:17 ratio gear. The 4 and 6 cylinder ones use a 21:20.

"Ouch, I thought that is what

"Ouch, I thought that is what you were going to say... are there any places (like online stores) where a guy might be able to buy a good used set for $300 or so? That number isn't set in stone, just thinking if new is $600... maybe used would be half-price or so... Any thoughts?"

"This may be some good news to

"This may be some good news to you, I recently purchased a completely rebuilt upper and lower drive on ebay for $600, admittedly it was an OMC Cobra drive but you could find a great deal there! Just gotta look at the right time, I was watching for 2 weeks than the right deal came up, keep your eyes open!"

Back